3 cables in one socket???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a double socket with three cables into it. I have done a continuity test on all three and it doesn't seem that the socket is on a ring. What is the best way for me to find out what the cables supply etc. There are no other sockets nearby that I can see.

Sponsored Links
scottmeister71 said:
I have a double socket with three cables into it. I have done a continuity test on all three and it doesn't seem that the socket is on a ring. What is the best way for me to find out what the cables supply etc. There are no other sockets nearby that I can see.

possibly a radial with 2 branches from the same socket. there is no easy way to trace cables apart from looking to see where they go

Sponsored Links
scottmeister71 said:
What are cable tracers?
it helps trace the cable would you believe

one "part" is an oscilator that the other part cann "see" when it sees it it lets you know

Firstly determine the size of fuse supplying this circuit. Secondly, determine the size of the live wires supplying the circuit.
If it is a 16A/20A supplying a 2.5mm² it is likely a radial.
If it is a 30A/32A supplying a 2.5mm² it is likely an incorrectly wired ring by todays standards.
If it is a 30A/32A supplying a 4mm² it is likely a radial.

Spark123 said:
If it is a 30A/32A supplying a 2.5mm² it is likely an incorrectly wired ring by todays standards.

Is the most likely solution not a ring circuit with an unfused spur supplying one single socket or double socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back