Cabling procedure for adding a FCU to ring main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My garage currently has 4 double sockets on it's own ring main circuit from the CU, all neatly tucked away in one approx 8 foot length of what I think is called dado trunking (big trunking one often sees surrounding office or hospital walls, which one can screw sockets/switches etc straight on to the front face). The sockets are for general light use of small power tools, the freezer, a radio etc. I'd like to add a bench light switch to the trunking. I intend to fit a FCU to the ring and obviously an appropriate sized cable supplying the light.

What's the correct way to connect a FCU to the ring main if there are no cable length constraints? Should it be installed as if its an additional socket, ie with both supply cables connected to its supply side, or should it be fitted as a spur from the next socket, ie that socket would have three cables on the supply side and the FCU only one supply cable?

TIA

Sponsored Links
What's the correct way to connect a FCU to the ring main if there are no cable length constraints? Should it be installed as if its an additional socket, ie with both supply cables connected to its supply side, or should it be fitted as a spur from the next socket, ie that socket would have three cables on the supply side and the FCU only one supply cable?
You can do it either way: I prefer to maintain the ring final, but you can take a spur from a socket outlet.

Thanks guys. There's no problem with cable route/lengths etc since all sockets are within a foot or two of each other. I'll 'add' it rather than 'spur' it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. There's no problem with cable route/lengths etc since all sockets are within a foot or two of each other. I'll 'add' it rather than 'spur' it.
It would also be my preference. Do you know how to extend a ring final and do you have test equipment to prove it has been done correctly and safely?

I understand how a ring works, just wasn't sure whether to spur or break into the ring. I don't have test equipment but a family friend will test it for me. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back