3 Core And Earth Colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

What’s the standard use for Black Grey Brown when wiring a bathroom extractor?

SL - ?
PL- ?
N - ?

Is there a standard or what does everyone tend to use?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
3 core has grey brown black, so sleeve the grey with blue sleeving, tape ?
Yes, if the Grey is being used as Neutral.

A lot of people think that the Grey should be used for Neutral (but Black used to be Neutral in the UK).

Either way, no one will ever be able to assume an unsleeved Grey is Neutral because it might not be.

Many will use the black (sleeved brown of course) for the permanent line to match the convention used in Hager Klik LSC roses.

Really it can only be identified by appropriate inspection and testing.

And I thought it was brown phase 1, black phase 2, and grey phase 3, and blue neutral if there is on, and bare or green/yellow for earth. With a single phase supply should be brown and other wires sleeved to show what they are, with no sleeves one needs to test.

Remember USA use white and black, so one can never assume colours. Only time I trust the colours is with motorised valves on central heating, with 110 volt site supplies we all know should be L1 and L2 marked on plugs and brown and black wires, and pigs might fly, never seen a 110 volt plug with L1 and L2 always says L and N, and the cable is always brown and blue, even when with 110 volt supplies there is no neutral. Unless in USA or a machine control circuit.

To try and say one uses grey as neutral is dangerous, as often people use the old colours, so black is neutral, or with old colours use new colours so blue is neutral, but we put brown to red, black to yellow, and grey to blue to bits.

Until harmonisation we had red, yellow, blue, and rest of Europe had brown, black, black. Grey only arrived when we harmonised so there is no real swap over for colours.

And I thought it was brown phase 1, black phase 2, and grey phase 3, and blue neutral if there is on, and bare or green/yellow for earth.
You thought correctly - you almost seem to be suggesting that you now doubt yourself?
With a single phase supply should be brown and other wires sleeved to show what they are, with no sleeves one needs to test.
Indeed, in the same way that the blue ('if there is one') should be sleeved it is is used as anything other than a neutral - but then you would be talking about a 4C+E cable, whereas this thread is about 3C+E.

Kind Regards, John

Presumably only in countries in which 'over-sleeving' is allowed?
Of course. I was referring to the OP's question, based on his/her jurisdiction. It's far better to use correctly coloured cables though, without question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back