A Question about Wiring Colour Code Conventions

It does tend to be used more for live only applications.

Although those applications are mostly single-phase in domestic and light commercial work, where if following the Regs. the black & gray will be sleeved brown anyway. Comparatively, how often is 6243Y actually used for 3-phase delta?

Manufacturing it as brown/black/blue or brown/gray/blue would still entail sleeving two conductors at each end when used as 2-way travelers or similar, but would require the sleeving of only one conductor each end when used in applications such as a timer fan, as opposed to two with brown/black/gray.

There were certainly some special-order cables made with different colors though. With the "old" colors 6243Y was normally red/yellow/blue, but I did recently see some pictures of 6243Y made with red/yellow/black.

Sponsored Links
Comparatively, how often is 6243Y actually used for 3-phase delta?
I have never seen it used in 3 phase star or delta industrial applications, it is a tad on the small side.
Ours all tends to be mainly SWA or conduit singles - something with a bit of mechanical protection.

It does tend to be used more for live only applications.

With the "old" colors 6243Y was normally red/yellow/blue, but I did recently see some pictures of 6243Y made with red/yellow/black.
I believe these 2 versions were standard 'off the shelf, I rember being surprised the first time I purchased a roll and found it to be blue.
Red/red twin or T&E was also standard

Sponsored Links
I suppose it is easier than having to identify them if they were all the same colour though.
Saying that I have seen 3 x red + earth before.

I suppose it is easier than having to identify them if they were all the same colour though.

Yes, but with something like brown/black/blue (or red/yellow/black) you can still easily tell the cores apart, and it's one less core which needs sleeving when you aren't using all three as live.

Admittedly it's hardly a major issue, but just one of those little things which make you wonder why cable manufacturers standardized on the three phase colors when 6243Y is very rarely ever used in three-phase applications.

By comparison, American Romex comes in black/white/red for a 3-core version (white being the American neutral, the phase colors being black/red/blue).

Not seen it above 1.5mm, nor does it have the same level of mechanical protection such a SWA cable.

Of course live testing falls under the remit of the EAWR, especially regulation 14.
Why wouldn't it?
According to some it doesn't fall under the remit of the EAWR because it isn't work....
I get paid to do it, work paid a lot of money to train me to carry out testing safely, I have to use approved testers and a safe system of work inc risk assessments etc.
Why go to all that trouble if it isn't work?
I'm sure that holmslaw will be along soon with an explanation of why it isn't.
Ah well - since holmslaw has been back to this site a few times since that, and has made several posts, including some in this very topic, I think we can assume that he has no intention of trying to explain why testing is not work, and is probably hoping that we've all forgotten about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back