Wiring colour code for 12v and 5v

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Domestic mains uses blue/brown for normal identification, is there an equivalent for 12v and 5v?
I'm setting up a system of relays to control 230v AC from a 5v dc relay (with a 12v one in between). Thus I have a psu which is outputting 12v dc and 5v dc in close proximity to 230vac. Easiest method for simple verification of what is what is by colour of wire (not to be relied upon but ideally as I'm doing it is rather use conventional standards!).
Is there a standard for colour coding 12v dc and 5v dc?

Sponsored Links
I don't think there is a British standard but in pc power supplies it's yellow for 12v and red for 5v

Sponsored Links
It's very common for complex ELV control systems to be wired all in a single colour, often white:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/hookup-equipment-wire/7482140/

Then numbered sleeves are used at each end (or not!), which may be referenced on the circuit diagrams:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cable-markers/0554484/?origin=PSF_412515|cav

I do this myself but with pink wire (a habit from my days in defence electronics).

Just curious as to why two relays with different coil voltages? I presume the 5V relay is on-board and not capable of switching the current required on the mains side? or the circuit board is not capable?

Using bi-colour wire can mnake life a bit easier for the servicing of equipment with very large cable harnesses.

for example

Pink/black 0 volts (12)
Pink/red 12 volts
Pink/white control / signal wires on the 12 volt system

Violet/black 0 volts (5)
Violet/red 5 volts
Violet/white control / signal wires on the 5 volt system

Wire numbering is a very valuable addition.

Just curious as to why two relays with different coil voltages? I presume the 5V relay is on-board

If the outputs from the logic 5 volt circuits are available as TTL or CMOS logic levels then the ULN2083 octal driver chip will drive upto eight 12 to 24 volt relays. The only down side is that the relays 0 volt and the logic ( 5volt ) 0 volts have to be commoned. One ULN2803 is a lot smaller than even one 5 volt relay and uses none of the 5 volt power supply

Purple is king

An entire house was wired in single cores, all purple with wire numbers. And in the garage were several more reels of purple in various sizes.

Cheers for the response.

The 5v is to power a raspberry pi and relay board - bv4627. it is capable but remains energized while switched on.
the 12v is to switch sclr-2 relays - latching so no need to stay energized.

The sclr-2 then acts as a replacement for thermostat on a heatmiser underfloor controller.

couldnt get the pi to throw the sclr-2 directly due to power requirements so using the bv4627 as a go between.

I've been using a mixture of red/black and brown/blue with various insulation tape to mark what each wire is, but will be getting some marker rings to tidy up. Will then put a piece of each on the cover and mark up what is what voltage so when i come back in a year i don't need to remember!

Using a latching relay as the output from a thermostat might be a bad idea, as if the controller locks up or fails in some way, the heating element could remain switched on until something goes wrong! Keeping a normal relay energised during the heating time would be the normal way something like this would be done, its not like the relay will use much power, especially compared to the heating elements.

This is being used to turn on/off a gas boiler, if the relay gets stuck on, and the water over heats, the boiler has built in function to shutdown if over heating as a fail safe.

I am also looking to put a second set of relays on an independent pi and on a separate psu (And ups!), if any area gets too hot then alert and disconnect the underfloor controller from the boiler, until i manually reset.

The reason for the latching relay was to allow me to manually turn on a zone or zones in case of failure of hardware/software while i reset and fix, but also allow me to use a lower powered PSU.

Using bi-colour wire can mnake life a bit easier for the servicing of equipment with very large cable harnesses.

for example

Pink/black 0 volts (12)
Pink/red 12 volts
Pink/white control / signal wires on the 12 volt system

Violet/black 0 volts (5)
Violet/red 5 volts
Violet/white control / signal wires on the 5 volt system

Wire numbering is a very valuable addition.

If the outputs from the logic 5 volt circuits are available as TTL or CMOS logic levels then the ULN2083 octal driver chip will drive upto eight 12 to 24 volt relays. The only down side is that the relays 0 volt and the logic ( 5volt ) 0 volts have to be commoned. One ULN2803 is a lot smaller than even one 5 volt relay and uses none of the 5 volt power supply

I was wondering about using an octal driver or possibly a FET to drive the main relay.

It was suggested by a number of people on the raspberrypi forums, however i lack the knowledge to put something together, and instead opted for a ready made solution of sort. There are a lot of issues with feedback from the relays damaging the pi's. the Bv board eliminated these as the board is controlling the switching rather then the pi.

It seems a lot of people are controlling mains 230v using octal drivers or similar, but its just out of my field of knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back