Industrial wiring colours.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is more a question for an industrial forum, but is there a european standard for wiring colours used in panels and on machinery. At the factory where I work we have many machines from Switzerland/Germany/France and they all seem to use blue for 24v DC. The swiss one also uses Red for 110v AC live and white for the Neutral of the 110v, which is usually grounded. They also use black for 240/415v when the usual Brown/Black/Grey is impractical.

I've been looking to see if there is a standard somewhere or is this juust their own decision.

Sponsored Links
They just use whatever they feel like.

Older German machines use red for earth :eek:

New machines will probably use standard harmonized colours, but its pot luck on older stuff

EN 60204

Main ones are :-

Power lines - Black
Control lines - Red
24VDc - Blue
Neutral - Light Blue
Interlocks from other panels - Orange
Earth - G/Y

These are the colours I follow when building/working on panels although there are some variations allowed.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I've seen the orange ones where wiring picks up its voltage from outside a panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back