3 Core And Earth Colours

Of course. I was referring to the OP's question, based on his/her jurisdiction. It's far better to use correctly coloured cables though, without question.
In those 'other jurisdiction,' are cables with all the possibly-needed combinations of core colours readily available - particularly (at first thought) brown-brown-brown and brown-brown-blue (in both cases plus G/Y)?

Sponsored Links
In those 'other jurisdiction,' are cables with all the possibly-needed combinations of core colours readily available - particularly (at first thought) brown-brown-brown and brown-brown-blue (in both cases plus G/Y)?
No. A T&E and insulated and sheathed single would be used.

No. A T&E and insulated and sheathed single would be used.
That's what I suspected.

Is it not less tidy, less convenient, more costly and more wasteful of materials/resources to do that than it would be to use (as we wouldin UK) 3C+E cable with appropriate identification of conductors at the terminations?

That would seem to be a particular issue with 2-way light switching. Do they really use brown+brown T+E AND also a brown (or brown+E) single for the connection between switches?

That's what I suspected.

Is it not less tidy, less convenient, more costly and more wasteful of materials/resources to do that than it would be to use (as we wouldin UK) 3C+E cable with appropriate identification of conductors at the terminations?

That would seem to be a particular issue with 2-way light switching. Do they really use brown+brown T+E AND also a brown (or brown+E) single for the connection between switches?
No. Just wire it as conventional two-way switching.

Sponsored Links
You mean with just two strappers between the switches (like I did for decades)? That's fair enough, but one then has to get a neutral to the light at the end - so would you use a blue (or blue+E) single for that? If so, that would invoke all the 'downsides' that I mentioned (in comparison with using 3C+E, with the cores appropriately identified).

You mean with just two strappers between the switches (like I did for decades)? That's fair enough, but one then has to get a neutral to the light at the end - so would you use a blue (or blue+E) single for that? If so, that would invoke all the 'downsides' that I mentioned (in comparison with using 3C+E, with the cores appropriately identified).
You can still run T&E to the luminaire and 3 plate it.

They do - seemingly to avoid people 'getting confused' by the fact that, as you say, black used to be neutral in UK.

The logic of that reasoning somewhat escapes me!

Kind Regards, John
Yes, #metoo. :)
Initially I used black as neutral and didn't understand the logic either until...

Until I worked on an existing single phase circuit in SWA cable, My colleague had removed the original broken switch and I fitted the replacement. I used black for neutral which most of us were at the time and the wires appeared to be the right length and shape, the light worked fine. Except I had to return the following day as it was tripping a 100mA RCD.
In the CU the SWA was old colours with blue neutral, it had been extended with harmonised and of course joined in correct colour sequence, making grey neutral. That was the turning point for me and has been grey neutral ever since, except of course existing work using black.

Of course. I was referring to the OP's question, based on his/her jurisdiction. It's far better to use correctly coloured cables though, without question.
If it's possible then yes of course.

Which requires extremely careful planning to reduce interference issues and, as I understand it, the reason conversion method was introduced.

In the CU the SWA was old colours with blue neutral, it had been extended with harmonised and of course joined in correct colour sequence, making grey neutral.
Why is that 'correct'?

That was the turning point for me and has been grey neutral ever since, except of course existing work using black.
Ok, but that depends on your answer to the above.

Which requires extremely careful planning to reduce interference issues and, as I understand it, the reason conversion method was introduced.
The conversion method, as the name suggests, was simply invented to make a simple means of converting 1-way switching to 2-way switching.

The conversion method, as the name suggests, was simply invented to make a simple means of converting 1-way switching to 2-way switching.
It probably was, but as well as 'convenience' and reduced use of materials,it also had the great benefit of minimising EMC issues.

To have AC current flowing in one direction in a conductor without the same current flowing in the opposite direction in a conductor within the same cable is, in my opinion, bad practice.

Why is that 'correct'?
I'm sure the majority on here in the UK would have no issue with this being a sensible combination for a single phase circuit:

1693430594717.png

And if a cable is being extended the most obvious option would be this:
1693430676780.png

Ok, but that depends on your answer to the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back