Connect 3 Core and Earth Cable to extractor with LNT

That would be really silly. How could one tell which red (brown) was which?
You would look at the structure of the cable.

You would probably say 'that brown is near the edge of the sheath' or 'that brown is next to the earth wire', or something like that.

What IS hard to determine is something like hall and landing light switches, all in conduit, and all in brown singles...

Sponsored Links
You're hardly claiming that it has been heatshrinked with alphanumeric markings, are you?
That is rarely done. However, you seemed to be saying that it was a 'requirement' for the insulation of a phase conductor to be brown whereas, in the UK (and this is the "Electrics UK" forum), over-sleeving with brown at the terminations is acceptable.

That is rarely done. However, you seemed to be saying that it was a 'requirement' for the insulation of a phase conductor to be brown whereas, in the UK (and this is the "Electrics UK" forum), over-sleeving with brown at the terminations is acceptable.
Now the crazy thing is an installer could decide to identify the wiring with brown as L, blue as N, yellow as SL, strappers as Grey etc. Power circuits: white for ring L, purple for shower L etc. If there was a list available one would be hard pushed to fail it on an inspection.

I never suggested that oversleeving wasn't acceptable - that would however make it a brown conductor.

Sponsored Links
I never suggested that oversleeving wasn't acceptable - that would however make it a brown conductor.
Fair enough. In that case, I obviously misunderstood you, perhaps because I thought that you had been known to suggest that over-sleeving was not acceptable in some (non-UK) places (but maybe I'm wrong about that as well).

That would be really silly. How could one tell which red (brown) was which?
We quite often hear about non-UK territories where over-sleeving is 'not allowed' (or, at least, 'deprecated'), such that brown+brown T+E is used for 1-way light switches, but I don't know what they do about 2-way switching, since I've never seen, nor heard, of brown+brown+brown 3C+E. Maybe they use two cables, or even singles? A foreigner may be able to tell us.

In France singles are used. Switched wires are orange or mauve or one of each for 2 way strappers. I believe Switzerland is similar. Seems sensible to me.

In France singles are used. Switched wires are orange or mauve or one of each for 2 way strappers. I believe Switzerland is similar. Seems sensible to me.
The non-UK country I was talking, and asking, about is not in mainland Europe but, rather, had a land border with the UK.

We quite often hear about non-UK territories where over-sleeving is 'not allowed' (or, at least, 'deprecated'), such that brown+brown T+E is used for 1-way light switches, but I don't know what they do about 2-way switching, since I've never seen, nor heard, of brown+brown+brown 3C+E. Maybe they use two cables, or even singles? A foreigner may be able to tell us.
Not difficult. Just use traditional two-way switching rather than conversion method. If you really wanted to use the conversion method for some reason then use a twin brown and an insulated and sheathed single brown. Very easy.

Of course, in An Saorstát it will have a full-sized and insulated protective conductor, and the cable will be to a minimum reactance to fire performance of Dca, -s2, d2, a2.

Not difficult. Just use traditional two-way switching rather than conversion method.
Being old and stuck in my ways, I very often do just that BUT, whenever possible, use 3-core cable, carrying the neutral as well as the two strappers.

If one just uses 2-core cable (with whatever colours) for the strappers, with the neutral to the load supplied via a cable/conductor with some different route, then that raises undesirable EMC issues (in any country).
If you really wanted to use the conversion method for some reason then use a twin brown and an insulated and sheathed single brown. Very easy.
As I said, that would be one solution, but I would call it 'messy' and 'inconvenient', even if fairly 'easy'. Am I right in assuming that 'triple brown' 3C+E does not exist, even in countries such as we are discussing?
Of course, in An Saorstát it will have a full-sized and insulated protective conductor, and the cable will be to a minimum reactance to fire performance of Dca, -s2, d2, a2.
None of that means much to me, and would probably be best discussed in the "Electrics Outside of UK" forum.

Being old and stuck in my ways, I very often do just that BUT, whenever possible, use 3-core cable, carrying the neutral as well as the two strappers.

If one just uses 2-core cable (with whatever colours) for the strappers, with the neutral to the load supplied via a cable/conductor with some different route, then that raises undesirable EMC issues (in any country).
As I said, that would be one solution, but I would call it 'messy' and 'inconvenient', even if fairly 'easy'. Am I right in assuming that 'triple brown' 3C+E does not exist, even in countries such as we are discussing?
None of that means much to me, and would probably be best discussed in the "Electrics Outside of UK" forum.
Neither I nor my wholesalers have come across 3-core & Earth cable, so I would suggest that it doesn't exist (or at least not for single phase use).

We do have an interesting cable called RD415 for domestic smoke alarm/carbon monoxide alarm circuits, however.

Neither I nor my wholesalers have come across 3-core & Earth cable, so I would suggest that it doesn't exist (or at least not for single phase use).
Bit inconvenient. Wonder if much finds its way as a grey import across the border.

I suppose one simple, simple solution would be to print numbers on the brown cores - like they like do on the blacks on SY flex, or like they like to do on the whites of 7 core SWA, and all that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back