3 Gang Light Switch Query

Hi dannyboi,
There is a separate fuse for upstairs and downstairs lights - these arent labelled as such, there are just two labelled as 'lights' but having flipped them it looks like they split upstairs and downstairs as they should.

Certainly in the case of the problematic light switch the 'upstairs lights' fuse kills power to what I labelled as 'Gang 1' on the original picture i attached.
And the 'downstairs light' fuse kills power to what I labelled as 'Gang 2 & 3'.

Clear as mud?!

Sponsored Links
the 'upstairs lights' fuse kills power to what I labelled as 'Gang 1' on the original picture i attached.
And the 'downstairs light' fuse kills power to what I labelled as 'Gang 2 & 3'.
That is exactly as expected.

The solution to the outside light is to get power to it from some other source - a cable from the nearest light fitting, or via an FCU from a nearby socket or whatever else might be convenient.
The existing cable from the light to the switch can then be used as the switch cable only, with line/switched line connected to the switch.

Hmm as I suspected, had they been on the same supply it could have been re-wired using the existing wiring. As explained previously you need to obtain a new supply for the outside light from elsewhere, can you run conduit on the outside walls or would this look really unsightly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back