3 Gang socket in existing plasterboard wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Problem: need to fix a 3 gang back box in an existing stud wall, but can only find the standard metal box in 3 gang - cannot locate a 3 gang dry lining box. Are they available anywhere?

Alternatively (without hacking away a lot of board to fit a noggin) what can anyone suggest for fixing the box securely? I have seen plasterboard flanges for metal boxes, but not sure if these will be suitable for a 3 gang.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Keeping to the fused 3 gang as it's only going to have things like mobile phone chargers plugged into it - if anyone goes mad and plugs in three tumble dryers or something, the fuse will blow.

I see what you mean about the brackets - great idea and, as such, so obviously flipping simple when you think about it. I'll screw through from the front and a bit of filler over the heads - sorted.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply - those are exactly the flanges I'd seen. As far as I can tell, they work by clamping the plasterboard between the flanges and the front plate when it is screwed into place. Although I'm sure they'd be fine for a switch, with a socket outlet the plugging and unplugging action might wear away the board over time and you'd end up with a wobbly socket. But then, I guess a standard dry-lining box doesn't have much more of a bearing area on the wings, and they seem to work fine, so I'm probably worrying unnecessarily.

The only other problem I can imagine would be trying to stop it flapping about whilst you're trying to fit the front plate if the hole in the board is a bit oversize.

So many thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'll make some brackets as suggested by holmslaw - might take longer, but I think it'll be a bit more solid in the long run.

If you have a choice in where you site the socket, fit the centre of the box to an upright stud. You can chissel this out to the depth, and fit the box with two screws to stop it moving too much. You could also fit the flanges as well for good measure.

Fitting two doubles could prove a better idea. This could be a problem if you only have a spur cable from a ring circuit though.

You will struggle finding 3 gang sockets in chrome etc if you ever decide to go down that road in the future.

They do do a dry-line box which consists of a double box and a single box in one.

So you could fit a double and a single socket butted up to each other.

I don't know if your existing wiring will permit this.

You will probably have more luck in obtaining this product from an electrical wholesaler rather than the likes of B&Queue.

Me again.
Some makes (possibly Converta, Clipsal) allow their 3 gang sockets to be fitted on a double or even single flush back box...

All good points - I particularly like the idea of fitting it to an upright - this prompted me to consider fixing one end to an upright and a flange on the other end, or just one of holmslaw's brackets. There is a single socket here already and I think I will be able to extend the hole sideways enough to manage this.

I'm using MK Logic Plus to match in with the rest of the installation (SWMBO's choice). It's not on a spur, but I don't want, or need, to put two doubles in as I really can't envisage any heavy loads being plugged in here (I know - famous last words :rolleyes: ). It's more to tidy things up rather than having a trailing 4 gang socket with the inevitable phone chargers, etc, etc plugged into it and wires all over the place. And of course it leaves a bit more capacity to add extra sockets elsewhere if it ever becomes necessary.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

How about fitting a 2 gang box then using the 2 to 3 outlet socket convertors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back