3 Gang Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago our window cleaner broke our pir security lamp with his ladder and arranged for an electrician to replace it. Prior to the replacement, the switch for the lamp, which was part of a 3 gang switch was the usual , up and the light was off and down when it was in use. We have now discovered that in the up position the pir function acts as it should but if we switch the light ‘on’ the light actually comes on and will go off again if the switch is returned to the ‘off’ position. It would seem therefore that the switch is live in both positions. One more thing. With our original light the pir facility was part and parcel of the security light. Now it is a separate unit albeit wired into the security light.
Being an old codger, it is possible that I have raised this before and forgotten about it and if that is the case my apologies. However, I still need a solution.

Sponsored Links
Well, you say you need a solution but the way it is is very common.
It is how I would like it but obviously it is up to you.

It can be reverted to how it was by altering the wiring at the switch.

Thanks for the rapid reply! If it's very common, (and safe), I'll leave it as it is.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back