3-Part 15mm / 10mm Adaptor Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a towel rail using 10mm Speedfit pipe coming out of a block wall. I was going to use corner valves with 3-part adaptors (see pics),as the wall-to-centres distance is only 50mm’ish.

The issue I am having is that the adapters are such a tight fit that they are shaving bits of plastic off the pipe - see pics. I’m wondering if this is a common problem and what are the best way to deal with it is?

The main issue seems to be the outer edge of the smaller part of the adapter that is quite sharp, and so I lightly sanded it to remove the rough edge and then polished the inner surface. This mostly seem to do the trick, but surely I shouldn’t need to be doing this!? I’m also not sure about watertightness now either, but I think I am correct in stating that it is the front side of the Olive that is providing the water tightness and so lightly sanding the outside edge of the smaller adapter part should have no bearing on that!?

Anybody got experience of using these adapters on speed fit pipe, who may be able to shed some light on the situation?

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_3244.jpeg
    IMG_3244.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3245.jpeg
    IMG_3245.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3249.jpeg
    IMG_3249.jpeg
    375.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_3250.jpeg
    IMG_3250.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
What pipe are you using? That side of the reducer shouldn't be doing anything as far as compressing the pipe is concerned and scraping the pipe.

Is that happening when you are putting the reducer onto the pipe before tightening it up?

What pipe are you using? That side of the reducer shouldn't be doing anything as far as compressing the pipe is concerned and scraping the pipe.

Is that happening when you are putting the reducer onto the pipe before tightening it up?
Hi Rob and thanks for responding. In answer to your questions:

1. Speedfit pipe and Flowflex reducer, which is tight as hell until I get to work on it!
2. The damage was caused on a new piece of pipe by simply pushing the smaller part of the (new) adapter onto it. Never used these before and so was just testing the water in the garage. I have a pack of 10 reducers and every single one was the same. I wondered whether this was a common problem or maybe it is something specific to this brand of reducer?

I am going to a couple of plumbing merchants today to get some different brands to see if they behave differently.

On a general note, are these three part reducers reliable? With the pipework being buried in the wall and then tiled over, I I have one chance of getting this right, obviously!

TIA.

I wondered whether this was a common problem or maybe it is something specific to this brand of reducer?

No it shouldn't be, I presume you are using JG inserts too? Both JG and HEP are very good quality and are consistent in diameter so I can only think that the reducers must be at fault.

I tend to test on other waste pieces of copper or HEP and see if they are overly tight to fit to them too. If a bit effort is needed to fit (they should slide on easily) then it has to be the reducers.

Sponsored Links
No it shouldn't be, I presume you are using JG inserts too? Both JG and HEP are very good quality and are consistent in diameter so I can only think that the reducers must be at fault.

I tend to test on other waste pieces of copper or HEP and see if they are overly tight to fit to them too. If a bit effort is needed to fit (they should slide on easily) then it has to be the reducers.
Hadn’t even put the insert in at this juncture as I was having a play, but would do; i know to use the variant specifically for compression fittings.
I’ll post back this afternoon, for the benefit of others, when I have collected the other (three) brands. Doing this as much out of interest.
As regards reliability, I assume these three part reducers are absolutely fine?

Yes, the reducers with the separate olive are far more reliable than the snap type reducers

So, after much gnashing of teeth I have determined the following:
  1. Flowflex very tight on plastic pipe, as mentioned previously
  2. Made4Trade as above
  3. PlumbRight as above
  4. Conex (Toolstation) absolutely fine, albeit they are considerably more expensive. Having said that, these are the only ones I would personally use on plastic pipe without concern
To be honest this whole exercise has put me off using these reducers on plastic pipe. This pipe will be buried into a wall and tiled over so any potential damage to the pipe is a real concern. Instead i am seriously considering using 10mm (end feed) copper with a 10 / 15mm adaptor into the valve. I have a fair bit of soldering experience with 15mm pipe, but never used microbore. Any reason not to?

TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back