3 phase 11 and 22kw - Current in Each Phase??

When designing motor control panels I work on the basis of; power/230/2 = 22000/250/2 which simplifies as 22000 x 2 and comes out as ~44A basis for OCPD and wiring.

Sponsored Links
That's correct for supply at 400V phase-phase, which wasn't specified.
If, as seems to be the case, you're wanting to be pedantic, that statement is not strictly true. It would be 'correct' for a supply at (230 x √3) volts, which is about 398.37 V.

Kind Regards, John

If, as seems to be the case, you're wanting to be pedantic, that statement is not strictly true. It would be 'correct' for a supply at (230 x √3) volts, which is about 398.37 V.

Kind Regards, John
Not sure what you're getting at. I was just saying the voltage is needed to calculate the current (OK I accept the forum is Electrics UK, but it might possibly be 230 volt).

It's irrelevant whether you say 400 volt 3-phase, 400/√3 1-phase or 230 volt 1-phase, 230*√3 3-phase, they're only nominal figures. I believe it changed from 415/240 volt to 400/230 to be same as the continent, but with a +-5% tolerance, so 415/240 which is within the range. Though nothing needed to change, last time I checked, mine was 239 volt.

Not sure what you're getting at. I was just saying the voltage is needed to calculate the current
Fair enough. I thought you were saying that thee calculation using 230V )phase-neutral) was only correct if the supply was 400V phase-to-phase, which I took to bee a quibble about the numbers.,
(OK I accept the forum is Electrics UK, but it might possibly be 230 volt).
Again, fair enough, but I'm not sure that anywhere in the world has supplies with 230V phase-phase (i.e. about 133V phase-neutral), do they?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Agreed, as you say it's highly unlikely, but strange things happen :giggle:
I can't argue with that, but the fact that that is 'highly unlikley' combined with the fact that (as you have observed) this is an "Electrics UK" forum, I really can't see that anyone reading this thread would think other than that what was being referred to was a ('standard' oin thee UK) 230/400V 3-phase supply :)

Kind Regards, John

I can't argue with that, but the fact that that is 'highly unlikley' combined with the fact that (as you have observed) this is an "Electrics UK" forum, I really can't see that anyone reading this thread would think other than that what was being referred to was a ('standard' oin thee UK) 230/400V 3-phase supply :)

Kind Regards, John
OK

Not sure what you're getting at. I was just saying the voltage is needed to calculate the current (OK I accept the forum is Electrics UK, but it might possibly be 230 volt).

It's irrelevant whether you say 400 volt 3-phase, 400/√3 1-phase or 230 volt 1-phase, 230*√3 3-phase, they're only nominal figures. I believe it changed from 415/240 volt to 400/230 to be same as the continent, but with a +-5% tolerance, so 415/240 which is within the range. Though nothing needed to change, last time I checked, mine was 239 volt.
+10%/-6%.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back