3 Phase Coffee Machine

How does this work if the elements are connected in Delta?

There's no neutral involved, and if all three elements were exactly alike, then the current in each line should be the same (just as for a wye system).

With the delta connection, the currents though each element will be out of phase compared to each other, but as far as each element is concerned it "sees" just a simple 415V supply.

Another question...! What is the difference in the physical make up of a 230V element and a 400V element and, I suppose the same question & answer would also apply to a 230V or 400V motor winding?

The element (or other load) will just be designed so that it draws the correct amount of current for the required power. Since P = I x E, if you want the 400V element to be the same wattage as its 230V counterpart then the current through it must be lower, which in turn means that its resistance must be higher.

Sponsored Links
please stop calling it a "wye" system..
the correct term is star..

they only use a Y shaped icon for it for ease of notation..

please stop calling it a "wye" system..
the correct term is star..

Both terms have been in widespread use for many years. Star might be more prevalent in this country these days, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a wye system.

they only use a Y shaped icon for it for ease of notation..

The same can be said for a delta connection. It became so called due to resemblance to the Greek letter delta when drawn in conventional format.

I never use the term "wye" either coljack, I too prefer the term "star" but I have to agree with Paul

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back