Alternative to large 3 phase converter box.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a woodworking machine that comes in both three phase and single phase

The one I am looking at is three phase
( secondhand) and comes with large converter box as per photo. I don't want such a a large unit , is it possible to run this machine using another method ? My fusebox in the workshop says total ampage used at any time shouldn't exceed 100amps.
Thanks in advance
James

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129-141853~2.png
    Screenshot_20230129-141853~2.png
    555.4 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Change the motor to a single phase one.
May be possible to run the 3 phase motor from a VFD instead of that rotary converter.

However all depends on the power required for the device. Your workshop may not have a 100A supply.

Using 3 phase motors with inverters allows a more controlled start, many motors are star 400 volt delta 230 volt, but much depends on the machine, if the motor can have a slow start.

But the costs have changed, drives were coming down in price, so not a clue what they cost now.

Sponsored Links
It‘s not exactly my main field of expertise (more of a house basher myself) but I‘ve read that older (pre-2000s) motors can be damaged by running them off of a VFD. Something about the insulation needing to withstand higher voltage spikes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back