3 phase load question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am after a quick piece of advice please.

my business has a 3 phase supply, but our electricity bill is pretty large (about £200 per week). We are a nightclub.

on a recent PIR i mentioned the cost and the electrician did a couple of quick checks.

when the club is closed, we are pulling about 2 amps on L1 & L2 and 0 on L3, so, that we agreed is quite acceptable.

when the club is open, 18amps on L1, 22amps on L2 and 56amps on L3, there are only 2 3ph loads (air con) the rest is all single phase (beer coolers, fridges, amplifiers, lighting and so on)

he suggested moving some of the loads so that when the club is open we pull around 30amps per phase. This in turn would reduce the electricity consumption.

My question, am i right in thinking that on 3 phase supplies, it is best to try and balance the loads equally across the 3 phases as it more economical?

Thank you for your time.

Peter

Sponsored Links
not done any readings, but a social club near me is billed per unit per phase, different rates for daytime and evenings phase balance has nothing to do with the cost.

It is considered best practice to balance loads across the phases but afaict only large customers actually have their imbalance metered and charged for imbalance.

Sponsored Links
Yep, unfortunately balancing the loads isn't going to affect howmuch electricity you are using.

The best thing to do is look at where you can save energy. Things like fitting occupancy sensors in store rooms and toilets, and installing efficient lighting where it isn't (but you may be a bit limited to where you can do this in the main club)

Unfortunately entertainment venues are heavy users of power and there's not that much you can do about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back