3 port valve failure

With the removed wire restored at the terminal strip, I'd be inclined to use some short wire links at the programmer baseplate to take the place of the programmer and check out the rest of the system.

eg start with a link from Live to HW ON which should give hot water only.

OK think i understand but won't that mean that both HW off and HW on are live?

Sponsored Links
With the removed wire restored at the terminal strip, I'd be inclined to use some short wire links at the programmer baseplate to take the place of the programmer and check out the rest of the system.

No I was assuming that with the programmer removed, HW OFF should return to 0 Volts.

If it doesn't there's a problem elsewhere or the HW thermostat is satisfied.

no that was a stupid question, that cant happen as the progrmmer is removed. :oops:

no that was a stupid question, that cant happen as the progrmmer is removed. :oops:

No now you mention it that is possible, but the important thing is the HW thermostat will need to be in demand to get the boiler going for this check.

Sponsored Links

No now you mention it that is possible, but the important thing is the HW thermostat will need to be in demand to get the boiler going for this check.

I really appreciate the help you are giving me here.

Done that and the hot water now runs, and the pump/boiler goes on and off as i turn the cyl stat up and down.

Also the 3 port valve has switch to HW only.

great, now add another Live link to CH ON as well and you should have both Heating and HW, with the valve at mid position.

great, now add another Live link to CH ON as well and you should have both Heating and HW, with the valve at mid position.

OK done that, now everything seems to be as it should, heating going on and off on the room stat, HW on and off on the cyl stat and the valve moving to the correct postions at the correct time.

so i guess that means everything is wired correctly and everything is working OK without the programmer, therefore the programmer must be broken??

Yes it does look like a duff programmer.

The only jumper I'm struggling with is the one marked "I".
"7" will be 7 days and "P" for a fully pumped system which yours is.

Maybe someone else can give better advice on that.

Yes it does look like a duff programmer.

The only jumper I'm struggling with is the one marked "I".
"7" will be 7 days and "P" for a fully pumped system which yours is.

Maybe someone else can give better advice on that.

For that one it can be set to L or I.

Many thanks for your help, I'll get a new one asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back