Testing a 3 port valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My hot water has gone on the blink, I can get central heating but no hot water?

It's a normal boiler, gravity fed system with a Honeywell 3 port valve.

I assume it's the valve that's gone but how can I make sure?

I have turned hot water on with the wall mounted controller and you can hear the whirl of the 3 port valve but the little arm does not move? Does that mean its died?

How could I set it manually In the meantime? Which way should the lever be for hot water? Also which way for hot water and central heating ?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What make is it, if the motor had failed I would expect you to get HW but no Heating.

Sponsored Links
The little arm as you put it dont move in normal operation. It's there to manually set the valve in a mid position. Does the boiler fire up when you turn the water on? Is you cylinder stat set to 60° ? Have you had any plumbing work done recently? By that I mean some people don't know how to shut the water off for the task in hand and will shut all valves in the airing cupboard. If there's a balancing valve on cylinder return make sure thats open.

Last edited:
In hot water position and with hot water only on, there will be resistance to move that lever to a mid position and if not locked in will spring back. Other than that the valve could just be jammed in heating position.

The little arm as you put it dont move. It's there to manually set the valve in a mid position. Does the boiler fire up when you turn the water on? Is you cylinder stat set to 60° ? Have you had any plumbing work done recently? By that I mean some people don't know how to shut the water off for the task in hand and will shut all valves in the airing cupboard. If there's a balancing valve on cylinder return make sure thats open.
Excellent answer , could also be an issue with programmer or cylinder stat , air in coil also possible, the boiler gets it switch live direct from the cylinder stat not the 3 port valve.

Hi
My hot water has gone on the blink, I can get central heating but no hot water?

It's a normal boiler, gravity fed system with a Honeywell 3 port valve.

I assume it's the valve that's gone but how can I make sure?

I have turned hot water on with the wall mounted controller and you can hear the whirl of the 3 port valve but the little arm does not move? Does that mean its died?

How could I set it manually In the meantime? Which way should the lever be for hot water? Also which way for hot water and central heating ?

Many thanks
Does your heating work ?

Yep BWC all possibilities, paying the going rate for a tradesman is best.

Have you got a multi meter ? I’d be checking that the cylinder stat is receiving a voltage from the programmer on common, then check that with the stat turned up that the stat is switching to normally open to provide the boiler with its 240v supply, If the valve was stuck in the heating position the rads would heat up as the boiler would fire up through the cylinder thermostat. The op has not reported that the rads have been heating up when not requested

You've not answered whether the lever is loose or has resistance when pushed. This is the first and easiest test.

I've given you the advice your looking for so you have a choice. You can either play with it yourself (which you probably enjoy) or get someone in to fix it!!

I've given you the advice your looking for so you have a choice. You can either play with it yourself (which you probably enjoy) or get someone in to fix it!!
Ha ha ! Gigglepin I can’t take you seriously I need to know to know if your a red or blue gigglepin ?

The point of this forum is so it gives the tight arses out there an opportunity to really **** it up before giving in and paying an expert to fix it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back