3 port valve question (s) as no hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
with a 3 port mid position mot. valve - if the motor fails you can manually open the valve fully and hae heating on when hot water is calling - until the hot water is satisfied.

but if the hot water isn't heating up, can you manualy open it via the lever or to midway when heating is on, to get hot water also?

I have tried this but it doesn't seem to work - why is this? i think my cylinder stat has failed so until i get a new one and change it over, have no hot water.

is my 3 port valve ok or is this just how it is supposed to work?!!

another thing i have noticed is that when heating is on only the lever does not automatically move across, which i thought was supposed to happen to indicate the motor had moved across inside - although obviously heating is on and the valve seems ok. it is honeywell, grey in colour.

thank you for any help or guidance you may be able to offer me.

Sponsored Links
have you check the power to the stat etc as the mot valve as you explain is working ok

providing their is a call for hw and the grey wire is dead and heating not called for the valve will be in the relaxed position.
hw open heating shut and resistance on the lever.

if the heating is on the valve lever will have no resistance.

Sponsored Links
yeah the valve lever has NO resistance when htg is off. but no hw-maybe the cyinder stat has failed to make contacts. how can i prove this?

also, is it possibe to have h/w on with heating only working, like by moving the manua ever over? i believe you can have heating on this way when h/w is on if the motor has failed?

have you a multi meter or elecy tester ?

yes we can get you hot water with just heating.

yes i own a multimeter - have used it before to test my thermostat on immersion. how do i get h/w with just htg working ... please help!!!!

also .... whats the easiest/quickest way of using my multi to test to see if the cyinder stat is broken?

put the tester to test for 230v.
heating off at programmer.
hw on at programmer.
follow the stat wires to the wiring centre.
one connects to a grey - one to a orange - and one to the hw on a the programmer

test them 3 what ones have power with the cyl stat calling for heat. ?

ok, i have only tested for resistance and continuity before with my meter. so i put the meter to ac current and is the 600 setting OK?

just looked inside the casing and you are spot on, one joing up to orange (the call wire i beieve) one to grey (the satisfied wire i beieve) and the other to another wire that must the the h/w on at the programmer.

thats all correct

now heating off at programmer
hw on at programmer
cyl stat up

tell me what reading you get on each.

am going to test with cyl stat at 60 (no need to put it up as water is cold :( - this is Ok isn't it? )

also, whilst touching the wires mentioned - what do i touch with the other probe? i wanna get it 100% correct - and have only tested cont. and resist. before so am not 100& sure. thanks for helping me btw.

ok, sorry for all these q's, but want to be 100% sure here. so finally, i test the 3 wires and with each , touch earth with the other probe?

when i test should i take all wires completely out of the wiring centre squares? or leave them in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back