3 port valve question (s) as no hot water

ok, thanks again for your advice seco. i appreciate it a lot.

i will try tightenting the union nuts a ittle tighter to see if that stops micro air leak drawing air in, and also the glass of water in the vent. if though the probem persists, i will buy an auto air vent.

i just hope the constant venting doesn't mean my rad is rusting away inside!!

actually thinking about it now, i did hear that you can test for sudge build up inside a radiator by hoding a match next o the air vent when venting - if a small flame shows it is hydrogen - thus caused by rusting insdie or sludge build up. should i try this?? advisable?

thanks again

Sponsored Links
can do just don't open to much if you like your wall paper.
and move the mrs curtains fiirst
surprised-004.gif

:LOL: good point!!! will try it though i think ... will this prove their is sludge/rust inside the rad causing the hydrogen to build up gradually as a side effect?

look inside your f/e tankin loft will tell you alot about the system.

if the system has never been treated to inhibitors etc theres bound to be some decay over the yrs etc.
its not something to loose sleep over.

Sponsored Links
the system has had sentinel 100 added i know for a fact, years ago though.

on top of that, when the rad is vented, the water is very black that comes from it. but when i vented a downstairs rad (just to see the colour) it was clear. so maybe their is some sludge in this radiator causing hydrogen to be formed and thus the need for venting.

anyway, ill tighten the nuts a little to see if that helps first and will sleep easy :)

ok i will do this tomorrow evening. flush it through to get the sludge/muck out. But, will i need to then add a whole load of inhibtor to the f & e tank as i will be adding fresh water in to refill the drained radiator. probably i am being too cautious and stupid here though!!

the radiator has a lockshield and a trv. but i dont think i have a trv cap still for it, so how can i shut the supply of water off properley as i do believe trvs do not fully close when turned right down/off do they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back