3 port valve noise and safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

Last week my 3 port valve thing got stuck and I had the heating no hot water issue.
The plumber sorted that a couple of days ago saying if it happens again he will have to order a new one, apparently it's unusually a 28mm one.

Last night it started making a worrying loud buzzing sound when turning the CH on. The noise made me think I should turn it off so not sure if the CH is working or not.
I am assuming it has stalled and I am stuck with the HW only now.

If I moved the manual lever would this give me heating? I assume I still have to turn the programmer CH on too and if so will this make the motor start up?
What exactly does the lever do, does it move the little ball?

Also, is it unsafe to turn the CH on (and therefore the motor) with that noise? I don't like the idea of a motor making that sound! It sounds like something that could get hot.

I once had an immersion plug melt and smoke, I am quite paranoid!

It's just to tide us over until I can call the letting agent tomorrow and the plumber can get a new valve for me!

Sponsored Links
Not certain on 3 port valves but the manual lever should open both heating and hw feeds (its there for draining/refilling). Problem is there will be a microswitch in the mech (which tells the boiler to fire) that isn't usually closed by the manual lever.
Now the good bit-as a tenant you have the right to have a safe, functioning heating system. Your letting agent should be contactable 24/7, Sunday is not an excuse. Get on the phone, get it fixed.
EDIT Low odds anything bad will happen with that noise if the valve is in free air, if heating/hw still works then keep an eye on the valve today (make sure its not getting stupidly hot), turn controls to off overnight (so it isn'active unattended)

Last edited:
The lever it to allow bleeding of the system, it moves the valve half way, the valve is unlikely to go on fire it uses very little power, moving the level is a common trick to get heating when valve goes faulty.

Sponsored Links
Good luck with that, most if not all of the Estate Agents I have worked for do not have an emergency number out of hours.

Andy

Yes no answer!

I have also discovered that the convector heater I bought in Maplins many years ago, that I retrieved from the loft today, is 100 times better at heating my bedroom up than my radiator.
I've never been so warm!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back