3 port valve question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm a central heating beginner (but a generally competent DIY-er). I need to replace this which doesn't work but I cant find the exact replacement in Screwfix. This item http://www.screwfix.com/prods/30424...g-Controls/Danfoss-HS3-3-Port-Motorised-Valve looks physically similar and has the same sticker on the side, but the one I'm replacing is a Potterton. Can anyone tell me if this one will replace it, and will I be able to just change the top bit and leave the pipe work alone to save me draining the system?

Ta for any help
Steve

Sponsored Links
That one will replace it, go nuts!

Depends why its not working as to whether its viable to only change the motor head or not. does the spindle on the valve move freely?

dont be so lazy!! drain down replace the whole valve and use the opportunity to fill up with some fresh inhibitor.

does the spindle on the valve move freely?

Not sure (its at a house elsewhere), but I will check that if I choose the the quick option.

Although roguetrader has maybe made me feel guilty enough to drain it. But then I'll have to be back asking about refilling and getting airlocks out!

It is at least 20 years that I know since it was drained and inhibited. The water is a bit black but nothing horrible (in my random opinion!). Although a little used rad did need flushing once as it got silted up...

If I do drain it, should I put some cleaner in it first, and how long would I leave it in for? Is this the right stuff? http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84838/Plumbing/Central-Heating-Treatment/No-Nonsense-Cleaner-1Ltr

Ta for the help!

Sponsored Links
dont be so lazy!! drain down replace the whole valve and use the opportunity to fill up with some fresh inhibitor.

Drain down :eek:

You have too much time on your hands :LOL:

Bungs...bish...bash...bosh. and on to the next one ;)

wouldn't have thought that valve is 20 years old, so it would have been drained more recently than you think.

you know its the right thing to do if its been that long, think how proud you'll feel as you kick back with a glass of vino plonko next to those nice hot rads knowing youve done it all yourself.

wouldn't have thought that valve is 20 years old, so it would have been drained more recently than you think.

Oh! I moved in 17 years ago, and it was already broken then! (I like to ignore minor problems!). The house is ~22 years old.

But now the tennant is complaining that he shouldnt have to turn all the radiators off individually in summer to stop them coming on when the water goes on... he has a point... :rolleyes:

If it's 17 years since it was turned I would be changing the whole valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back