3-port valve ticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've installed a 3-port valve in a bodacious hot-water-to-splasher-pool project. I put it in the heating circuit, and it all works nicely, except that sometimes when I put the 3-port in HW+CH position, it often "ticks" - about once per second something clicks on, then off again. I was fairly sure I wired it up correctly - I just wired it to a pair of on-off switches and labelled them accordingly. (I got the wiring diagram from the splendid article on the uk.diy heating and pluming page.)

Sponsored Links
Had it before on a honeywell(brand new) and drayton(6 months old) powerhead replaced the power head no probs since.

Sponsored Links
It's the motor motoring, then winding back between microswitch clicks. They shouldn't do it; when the valve is in the ch + hw position a diode is supposed to be connected so the motor is swamped with DC and stops.

I've noticed it before on a (Sunvic) valve 3 feet from where I am now. That head only lasted about 2 years. Might be worth a call to the mfr.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back