3 port valve to divert hot water sources.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps. Long time no see, Happy new year to you all.

I’ve currently got a combi boiler that isn’t that old, but I’d like to fit a small electric hot water tank to supply the bathroom basin and kitchen sink.

I have worked out that most of the time there would be enough stored water but on the odd occasion I may want to flic over to use the boiler.
I’ve worked out that a 3port valve may be suitable to do this, via a manual override switch, but it would mean direction of flow would be against the markings. Would this matter in this situation? it’s either that or 2 2port valves, one that opens and one that closes on manual override.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
First Q, why would you want to heat water with electricity, when gas at the moment is much cheaper and will probably continue to be cheaper. EDIT Unless you have solar panels.
Second Q- are you considering heating system valves in the dhw? Don't.
Point to watch- if you do go with this plan, make sure your water heater is designed to permit taps etc in the output. Also pay attention to any requirements the electric heater may have for an expansion vessel in the cold supply.

Sponsored Links
First Q, why would you want to heat water with electricity, when gas at the moment is much cheaper and will probably continue to be cheaper. EDIT Unless you have solar panels.
Second Q- are you considering heating system valves in the dhw? Don't.
Point to watch- if you do go with this plan, make sure your water heater is designed to permit taps etc in the output. Also pay attention to any requirements the electric heater may have for an expansion vessel in the cold supply.

Good question of which I should have mentioned as I knew it would come up. Price of energy here isn’t an issue, I have a plan under my hat for the electric side of things. If it works then I will happily share it.

Ok, so I thought 3 port valves we’re already used for water systems but I was obviously wrong. How come they can’t be? Is there anything similar available for use with water? I originally considered manual valves but would mean going in the loft for the changeover.

As for the heater itself, the one I plan on using is simply an over sink unit designed for 1 or 2 sink outlets and comes with expansion vessel etc.
Most of the bits are available to me either free or very cheap which is why I want to give this a try.

cheers.

There will definitely be industrial control valves suitable for your experiment. Have a look at that link @BlueLoo put up earlier. The other option is to rejig your pipework a bit so the manual 3 port valve is under the sink in the bathroom or the kitchen. Might be easier to have 2 manual 3 ports (1 in the kitchen, 1 in the bathroom)- so your pipework would just be a duplicate hot run to sink and bathroom.
EDIT Manual 3 port valves as featured in said link. You should be able to get them from Crosslings or similar industrial suppliers, very unlikely to find them in B & Q :)

Not WRAS approved for use with drinking water.
They will also corrode internally within a very short time due to dissolved oxygen in the water.

surely they're brass? like a tap?

Surely you'd just pipe x2 to each sink and mount the 3 way manual valve under the sink. 10mm plastic pipe will be more than adequate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back