3 showers at once?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Was hoping for some pointers on this one. I'm looking at installing 3 Mira 10.8kW Sport showers in one house - one each for the upstairs/downstairs bathrooms and one for the en-suite master bedroom. What are the limitations likely to be here - I know that's going to need an awful lot of power so are there any special precautions that I need to note if I do this?

The alternative is to fit one 10.8kW and two smaller units (7.5/9/9.8kW). Any suggestions?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
good of you to ask first, but it will not work

each shower will draw aprox 46Amps, x by 3 = 138Amps your main incoming fuse is only rated at 100A (may even be 80A) you do the maths on that one.

Also if you could do it you wuill be dividing your incoming water supply between 3 showers which basically means feeble tricke at each shower

Thanks Breezer.

Chances are that I will only ever want to operate a maximum of two units at once anyway, but I certainly wouldn't want to rely on that! Think I'll go for just the two showers instead then.

Nick

still same problem even with two 46 x 2 = 92A switch kettle and toaster on (no lights) and you will be at or close to 100A

also as i said you have to consider amount of water available.

i used to have electric shower, instant way to upset someone in shower- flush the loo, not enough water for shower, it gets v hot "dribble", cuts out and runs cold cos water flow too low

not good.

i think you would be better asking in plumbing for a proper gas boiler "set up", i think a megaflow will be your best bet, but i am not a plumber / heating engineer

Sponsored Links
You could use 2 showers if you connect them up via a contactor which will permit only one shower to be used at once.

Your other alternative is if you have a combi boiler... i presume that you haven't because you are wanting to install electric, but as an option you could do this, if you had a good enough combi.

er, no, we have combi, shower fine, flush loo, no (feeble) shower

Have what we have:

One leccy shower, one thermostatic mixer and a third planned off boiler also.

breezer said:
er, no, we have combi, shower fine, flush loo, no (feeble) shower

The problem that plagues all these things is sharing the water between several devices at once.

A well-planned loft-mounted tank with hot cylinder and shower pump is still the most (the only?) reliable way of getting an uninterrupted hot, forceful shower regardless of water use elsewhere.

Not sure if unvented cylinders would be any good for 2 or 3 showers run simultaneously.

Ok spoke to a friend today who has a 7 bed now detached house. previously it was 2 semis on 3 acres of land and has since been purchased knocked through and extended. They have ensuites in most of the rooms as they thought of using it as a B&B sometime in the future..

You guessed it they are running off a combi... she said if more than 3 showers are on they then notice the change in water pressure coming through the shower or if a bath is being run when a shower is on, they notice a combi being on.

I also did the 3 peakes challenge this year and the same applied.. 4 showers run of 1 combi.... My view is that this is the way forward. Then convert the loft with the free space.... :rolleyes:

andemz said:
I also did the 3 peakes challenge this year

Wooohooooo! Me too. Which way did you go? BN first or last? 24 hours awake climbing mountains (and a pike) is just not right. But I will probably do it again anyway :LOL:

BN first. had a few problems though on that one

I've also done the yorkshire peaks as well, 26 mile over 3 peaks completed in 6 hours bit of running and walking and even climbing. had chub rash big time on that one the next day. will be doing again against advbice from manhy walkers this december all being well for charity.

BN was pretty good to us. A bit slippy because of the fog condensing on the rocks, but Scafell was my achilles heel, or knee rather (I 'fell over' near the summit and managed to, medically speaking, "bu**er it" :rolleyes: ). I had been warned about Scafell but no-one will believe the weather until they have been up it. Foggy most of the way up, at the summit so bad that we couldn't see from one cairn to another, combined with gale force winds and a wind chill of -20... IN JULY! Even another team with GPS got lost, they couldn't get a lock on any satellites! Unbelievably, my pocket compass saved us! Couldn't do Snowden seeing as I was unable to walk, but had been up a few weeks earlier in gorgeous weather, and recommend that everyone see the view at least once in their life, even if you have to take the train up the side. Unbelievable view.

The Yorkshire Peaks? Are you mad?! No way I would try anything so hardcore!

Something I noticed, I didn't encounter any Scots going up Ben Nevis, nor Welsh on Snowden... It's almost as if only the English are daft enough!

Sorry to hijack the post! :oops:

I'm 90% sure you have to notify the REC if you want to fit a 10.2kw Shower.. can find out what reg it is if required.. 2 would be erm.. Bad.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back