3 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a 3 way light switch, one feeds the upstairs light, one downstairs and one that feeds the porch light.

I wanted to get rid of the porch light as somebody always switches it off anyway and my hue smart bulb never works. I've also fed from somewhere else now.

My question is, how do I know what cables I need to unwire from the switch?

Here's a pic of the switch if this helps. Thanks

Attachments

• Light Switch.jpg
    Light Switch.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
A three-way switch is where one light can be operated from three switches at three locations.

Yours is a three-gang switch - each being a triangle with COM, L1 and L2 and separate from each other - the middle one being upside down to the others.

So which switch operates the outside light?

Might need a better picture so we can see exactly where all the wires go.

A three-way switch is where one light can be operated from three switches at three locations.
Is it, I thought a three way switch was where it had three options so for example could light green, amber or red?

So three way switch has three positions, even if centre is off.

It seems likely looking at a two way switch, I would guess something like this
two-way-plus-inter.jpg
three switches allowing two options on or off. The switch to right can be changed to on/off, but think the switch shown more likely switch to left? It seems we have a three gang switch but I can't quite work out what is required.

I have to agree with Eric, a three way switch is a single switch that has COM, L1 L2 and L3

A three way switching circuit has three switches, two are two way switches ( COM L1 L2 ) and one is an intermediate switch.

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay. Yeah, I could have mentioned this in my initial post..... The switch I need to decommission is the one to the far right, which would be the far left in the pic (the side where the earth cable is).

I'll grab a better pic tomorrow.

Thanks

Let me know if this is any good.

Attachments

• Light Switch2jpg.jpg
    Light Switch2jpg.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 42
  • light Switch3.jpg
    light Switch3.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 34
Sorry for the delay. Yeah, I could have mentioned this in my initial post..... The switch I need to decommission is the one to the far right, which would be the far left in the pic (the side where the earth cable is).

I'll grab a better pic tomorrow.

Thanks
If all you want to do is safely stop the switch doing anything, the simplest way is to remove the red link [arrowed red] and make sure the red wire [arrowed green] is secure when the screw is done back up.
upload_2021-4-21_23-27-41.png
If you are replacing the switch with a 2 gang, remove the link then disconnect the yellow wire [arrowed yellow] and make it safe such as putting a choc bloc on the end. That will leave a completely empty switch.

If all you want to do is safely stop the switch doing anything, the simplest way is to remove the red link [arrowed red] and make sure the red wire [arrowed green] is secure when the screw is done back up.
View attachment 231240If you are replacing the switch with a 2 gang, remove the link then disconnect the yellow wire [arrowed yellow] and make it safe such as putting a choc bloc on the end. That will leave a completely empty switch.

That's brilliant, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I will sort out at the weekend. Is it safe to test the other end of the cable afterwards with a multi meter?

That's brilliant, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. I will sort out at the weekend. Is it safe to test the other end of the cable afterwards with a multi meter?
Set it to acV higher than 240, test before and after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back