3 Way switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a room where in order for you to get the lights on, ONE of the switches (s1) has to be permanently on, unlike in typical 3 way arrangements, where either s1 or s2 can turn on or off the lights. So, S1 is controlling the power to S2 instead of what its supposed to be doing. If S1 isnt ON, S2 does not turn the lights on and off, its a dud switch.

Can any one figure out if there is a wiring configuration they could have used in a 3 way switching config to cause this?

Sponsored Links
lr2wint5ni.gif

note old wiring colours in this pic

We have a room where in order for you to get the lights on, ONE of the switches (s1) has to be permanently on, unlike in typical 3 way arrangements, where either s1 or s2 can turn on or off the lights. So, S1 is controlling the power to S2 instead of what its supposed to be doing. If S1 isnt ON, S2 does not turn the lights on and off, its a dud switch.

Can any one figure out if there is a wiring configuration they could have used in a 3 way switching config to cause this?

Since you have only mentioned having two switches, I presume you are talking about 2 way switching.

So-called 3 way switching is where you have three or more switches. The two end switches are typically 2 way switches; and all middle ones are intermediate switches.

However, intermediate switches can be used instead of 2 way switches, so perhaps this is why you have mentioned 3 way switching.

Or you are calling 2 way switches 3 way switches, like they do in America?

If you only have two switches, follow the previous diagram, and omit the middle switch.

We need to know how your current set-up is wired, so photos would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Will take some pics if I need more help, although if the wiring is different to the diagram, I will swap the wiring round myself.

I meant 2 way sorry, not 3 way. I have an idea of what they have done, but until I open the switches up, I wont know for sure myself.

Remember the colours may vary. For instance, that diagram shows yellow wired into both commons. It may very well be red or blue that is used. I would expect to see the same colour used for both commons though.

basically someone has put the wires wrong in the second switch..

L1 or L2 has been swapped for Com..

without photo's we can't say for sure..

if you want to try the trial and error route, at one switch ( the end without the feed preferably ), swap L1 with com.
it that doesn't fix it, put it back as it was, then swap L2 with com..

I forgot to mention.. do turn the electric off before messing with the wires..

I know it's common sense, but not everyone has enough of that..

Of course. Because we can all make cognative slips, I always check isolated wiring for lives too..

The amount of times I turn mcbs on and off, its easier to check all lines for lives than take my third "double check" to the CU. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back