3 gang light switch as three separate lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, am scratching my head. Don’t want to call an electrician to change a light switch, as that would be embarrassing…..

I have a three gang switch, all controlling three individual lights. Simple on/off for each one, no complexity with other switches.

I want to change to plastic switch, so bought a lisse three gang switch, hoping for a simple, three wires into each at the top, into three out wires at the bottom. How wrong I was!

Looking at this, would I be correct in thinking the following.

From left to right.

S1 - live in at the bottom com, out at the 1 way at the top.

S2 - live in at the top com, and then also out at the top.

S3 - live in at the bottom right Com, and out at the top 1 way?

Feels weird but thought best ask….

I do need to also check the back of the existing switch, but that’s for the weekend when I can turn off the electric without incurring the wrath of the offspring for interrupting his evening gaming sessions

Attachments

• 1E1E12DC-AD4F-4C96-9BCF-530F6DAA5463.jpeg
    1E1E12DC-AD4F-4C96-9BCF-530F6DAA5463.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 169
Sponsored Links
On each switch you need com and 1 if that is how they are labelled. It does not matter which way round, so you could have all your lives in the top and all your outs in the bottom.

Ta! So guessing my guess is right, the way they are segmented by lines on the back, shows the switches? So the middle switch has com and 1 at the top?

Sponsored Links
Daft markings - and unusual positioning.

If you connected COM and 2WAY, it would still be a one-way arrangement though you would think the switch rocker was upside down.

Plus - for two-way switching COM, 1WAY and 2WAY would all have wires in them.

Of course, if the whole switch was upside down and you connected all of them COM and 2WAY, it would be the same as COM and 1WAY is now.

have just checked and it seems so! It’s a Lisse switch, so not sure if that makes a difference

One has to wonder what the old switch was like.

But no one asked...

One has to wonder what the old switch was like.

But no one asked...
:) it’s coming off tomorrow, i was just being pro-active in working out how easy it will be with the confusing mess on the back of the new switch. Have ordered new multimeter as old one not working, so I’ll need to wait till that gets delivered tomorrow to test the switch, but I’ll post the image of what will inevitably be a rats nest of cables into the old switch. It’s always how it goes with me if it can be difficult, it will be difficult

:) it’s coming off tomorrow, i was just being pro-active in working out how easy it will be with the confusing mess on the back of the new switch. Have ordered new multimeter as old one not working, so I’ll need to wait till that gets delivered tomorrow to test the switch, but I’ll post the image of what will inevitably be a rats nest of cables into the old switch. It’s always how it goes with me if it can be difficult, it will be difficult
Ahh, I read the thread as if you had removed the old switch.

Chances are the old switch will look very similar to the new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back