3 way switching

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For 3 way switching, If the permanent feed is at switch 1 can the switched live be at switch 3 ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
In the UK there's no such thing as 3 way switching.

If you want to control a light from 3 (or more) positions, the term is two way and intermediate. And the live and switchline can be at opposite ends of the switching circuit.

The live feed and switched live should be connected at the same position or switch in the switching system to avoid setting up eddy currents around the house.

The live feed and switched live should be at the same end to avoid setting up eddy currents around the house.

The live feed and switched live can be connected at any point across the two strappers (usually L1 & L2). They can be connected at any switch in the chain, even the intermediates.

The live feed and switched live should be at the same end to avoid setting up eddy currents around the house.

The live feed and switched live can be connected at any point across the two strappers (usually L1 & L2). They can be connected at any switch in the chain, even the intermediates.

Thankyou for pointing out my error, I have edited my post accordingly.

The live feed and switched live should be connected at the same position or switch in the switching system to avoid setting up eddy currents around the house.

You are talking complete and utter bollerx, eddy currents will never cause a problem in any installation using T&E cables.

You're out of your depth and drowning. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So if its wired in T&E and 3C&E to the 'standard methods' it will be as I describe so whats your issue?

Obviously you need some education.

An eddy current is a circular magnetic flux running around cables not houses.

An eddy current is a magnetic flux running generated around a conductor carrying an alternating current, the magnetic flux is not flowing in the conductor, it is flowing in the area around the conductor.

How can you have eddy currents running round a house?

An eddy current is a magnetic flux running generated around a conductor carrying an alternating current, the magnetic flux is not flowing in the conductor, it is flowing in the area around the conductor. If the conductor is in a house then the magnetic flux is in the house.

Are you getting confused with capacitive coupling?

No, are you?.

If equal but opposite currents are flowing in adjacent conductors the eddy currents generated in each conductor cancel each other out and the resultant interference generated is negligible.
Getting back to the topic, if the live feed is connected to one end of the 2Wint system and the switched live is taken off the other end of the 2Wint wiring and not routed back along with the strappers, then a significant magnetic field can be set up.
A classic example would be if the live feed were picked up from a downstairs ceiling rose and the neutral were were picked up from an upstairs ceiling rose [ignoring the possibility of a borrowed neutral].
This is demonstrated in this
http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2877/lampsci6.png
The magnetic field within the square and therefore outside it too can cause interference to all sorts of things.

A useful application of this technology is AFIL.

Getting back to the topic, if the live feed is connected to one end of the 2Wint system and the switched live is taken off the other end of the 2Wint wiring and not routed back along with the strappers, then a significant magnetic field can be set up.

Whats '2Wint' mean? I thought it was typo but as it appear twice I assume it is another revelation.

Its a term used by professionals for professionals on specifications and drawings.

then a significant magnetic field can be set up.

You're talking nonsense.
So if my car won't move tomorrow it could be due to the significant magnetic field running around my house.

Now 'You're talking nonsense'.

A classic example would be if the live feed were picked up from a downstairs ceiling rose and the neutral were were picked up from an upstairs ceiling rose [ignoring the possibility of a borrowed neutral.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Sorry, these are some of the craziest things I've ever read.

Crazy or not, its not uncommon in the trades I work in to have to get some of the existing wiring altered [put right] due to the interference caused to the systems I work on. When some one is paying £1M plus for AV systems they will most certainly not accept patterns on the screens and hum and buzzes in the speakers. The disabilities laws make it virtually compulsory to install AFIL's which are rendered useless if the fields generated by incorrectly installed lighting are even 1% of the strength of the AFIL.

Edit: Just had a look at the link, silly me I did'nt realise that lighting circuits carry 1000's and 1000's of Amps.

This ridiculous paragraph indicates the level of your knowledge.
Some of the lighting circuits I work on can be 100's and 100's! :rolleyes: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back