3 way to 2 way switch - confused by wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've changed most of the sockets and light switches in my house, and am pretty confident when doing it. However, I've never changed a 3 way light switch before - and to make it more confusing, I'm trying to change it to a 2 way. The middle switch is defunct - after talking to a previous owner, it used to be connected to an outside light which has since been removed - but the wiring inside remains. The middle switch not doing anything has been driving me mad for months, so I'm changing it to a 2 way one.

I have attached photos of the new 2 way socket, and the old 3 way one. Have also knocked up a quick diagram of the current 3 way wiring (anything with an arrow on goes into the wall).

I'm a bit confused by the yellow and blue wires - and which ones to attach where! My theory tells me I just need to remove the middle COM red wire and attach the rest to the new switch like for like. But would be great if someone could confirm this, and explain what the blue/yellow wires are for.

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• new switch.jpg
    new switch.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 377
  • switch 1.jpg
    switch 1.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 647
  • 3 way switch.png
    3 way switch.png
    12.8 KB · Views: 349
Sponsored Links
First of all, there are no three-way switches (except in the US where that's what they call two-way switches).

You have a three-gang switch with three two-way switches being used simply as one-way switches, i.e. open or closed.
They are not confusing because they are just three completely separate switches next to each other, one being inverted.

Your new switch is a two-gang with two two-way switches, one inverted, which may also be used as one-way - and is not a socket.

I have attached photos of the new 2 way socket, and the old 3 way one. Have also knocked up a quick diagram of the current 3 way wiring (anything with an arrow on goes into the wall).
Ok

I'm a bit confused by the yellow and blue wires - and which ones to attach where! [/qote]But would be great if someone could confirm this, and explain what the blue/yellow wires are for.
The yellow and black go to the two lights that the switches operate and the blue to whatever that switch used to operate.

My theory tells me I just need to remove the middle COM red wire and attach the rest to the new switch like for like.
Sort of -

You said that switch didn't do anything, so remove the midle com red and the blue and terminate them separately in two connector blocks.

Then simply transfer the rest of the wires - three plus link - to the new switch, bearing in mind one is upside down.

Thanks for your quick reply EFLImpudence. I appreciate it!

Sort of -

You said that switch didn't do anything, so remove the midle com red and the blue and terminate them separately in two connector blocks.

Then simply transfer the rest of the wires - three plus link - to the new switch, bearing in mind one is upside down.

Ahh I think that makes sense now - so each colour is effectively for each 'switch'. One being inverted confused me!

So with those 2 terminated, I'll basically have the attached? Does that look right?

Cheers for your help.

new switch overlaid.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back