3 way valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, its that time again think the 3 way valve is stuck ?
i have a oldish myson economist boiler with a potterton e2000 controller. we always use the controller as when we need hot water and cent heating. but when i try to switch the heatin on it doesnt turn on ( it did kick in after 3 hours) just think the 3 way valve is not turning because the hot water is ok. i have replaced this valve twice over the past 10 years , any tips etc ?

Sponsored Links
Read and follow the FAQ on this site!

Why did you need to change the valve ?

Tony

i changed the valve cause of an electrical fault with it, the second time it seemed to have seized up ?

OK I HAVE LOOKED AT THE ACTUTOR THIS WORKS AND TURNS WHEN THE CONTROLLER IS SWITCHED FROM HOT WATER TO CENT HEATING. THE VALVE HEAD MUST BE DODGY. I CAN TURN IT WITH MY FINGERS, JUST WONDERING IF I CAN LUBRICATE IT ETC ?

To me the 'valve head' is the 'actuator' so not clear which you think is working or not.
If you have removed the actuator off the spindle, can the spindle easily be turned using finger and thumb. Yes you can use WD 40 and work it in to make it easier.
If you've tried CH only while the actuator is off the spindle and the quadrant moves to mid position then on to CH only position, that would prove the white wire gets powered up when it should and also the grey wire gets powered up when it should. otherwise it could to go to CH only.
However there is a micro switch that is triggered during the last section and when this makes good contact it allows 230v out from the valves 'orange wire'.
A common fault is 'no 230v power on the orange to fire the boiler.
Note: in the other 2 positions, there is a HW involvement and power to fire the boiler goes through the cylinder stat.
So when you don't get CH only, its either valve not moving fully across or if it is then micro switch problem.

Sponsored Links
cheers yes i have removed the actuator and this turns when the c/heating is turned on. i have used wd40 on the spindle and it seems abit easier to turn with my fingers. this morning it worked ok as it always did just wondering with not using the c/heating as often as the hot water it has sort of freed itself ?

I always advise clients to use the CH for five min every three weeks during the summer.

Tony

ok cheers so do you think the valve and actuator are ok ?
this morning c/heating failed again. i need to push (help it) the manual arm on the side to get the heating to turn on. do you think it is the actuator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back