3 way wireless lighting control ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Hoping there is a solution out there for me. We currently have 2 way lighting in our lobby and I need to convert it to 3 way. Access to existing cable runs is extremely difficult without significant damage to floors and ceilings so I'd rather not do that. I do have good access to the feed wire and switch wire to the light. What I'm hoping exists is battery powered switches that I can locate in 3 separate areas, which will act as 3 way switching. Does such a product exist? I've searched the web and not found anything obvious so thought I'd ask here. Or perhaps someone has an idea of how I might convert a 2 way to a 3 way without having to add in an intermediate and run cables to the 3rd switch (seems highly unlikely).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've used LightwaveRF (search on Amazon).
Very pricey at the moment, but the battery switches worked perfectly for me and the battery lasted a good while.
There are very cheap alternatives on eBay, but beware quality and UK suitability!
A search for 'wirelss smart light switch' should get some results.
Good luck.

Last edited:
I also recommend Lightwave RF equipment Website https://lightwaverf.com/

Equipment I installed for neighbours of mine 12 years ago ( when they were JSJS Designs ) is still working trouble free.

Agreed they are expensive but you are getting well designed items manufactured to a high standard.

Sponsored Links
I am not sure what you are after, a two way switch allows one to switch either one light or another light, however the same switch as a pair can also allow one light to be controlled by two switches, we can add more switches called intermediate to have more than two switches, but this is not three way switching, it is still two way.

But you could have a three way switch lighting three lights, busy, vacant, knock for example, I assume you want multi-switches for one set of lights?

I used Energenie MiHome, not impressed, they can be hard wired, use a remote, or phone, or PC. But Lidi have been doing Zegbee smart switches which do seem to work out cheaper. I got a three lamp unit with GU10 lamps and a remote control. The remote will work with any of their smart bulbs, so it works a wall light and a bedside lamp in my wife's bedroom, and the GU10 lamps it came with just use the phone to control them.

The lidi remote has a plate that can be screwed to wall, and it is magnetic so the switch then sits in the plate like a light switch, but can also be removed to use as a remote. It has worked well for me.

The Energenie MiHome however also worked well when first installed around 4 years ago, HomeBase were selling them off very cheap so I got a load more Mihome-used.jpg and to start with seemed to work well, however Nest removed support so the TRV heads no longer connect to Nest Gen 3 thermostat, and of the 5 light switches only 2 still working, and also a socket has gone faulty, this has taken 4 years, but when the lights decide to flash on/off/on/off you have to turn off power to return to normal switch, and find a normal switch, which was a real pain.

So now using plug in adaptors, at least if it goes wrong easy to unplug. So gone off Smart light switches and sockets built in, now use type I can unplug if it goes wrong.

A two-way switch is a two-way switch - however you connect it.
Two different supplies to one load?

However that has nothing to do with a two-way or three-way (as it IS called) lighting circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back