3 wires in ring main breaker???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I opened my DB to recheck the size of my existing shower cable and I noticed that my 30 A downstairs ring-main breaker has three red 2.5mm cores connected into it. Also the insulation has started to become dicoloured on one of the cores and the terminal screw on the breaker is also discoloured.

Now, the red that has been getting hot was slightly loose so I tidied it up and re-secured it.

After having a think about it, I was wondering why there would be three seperate cores fed from that one breaker, I'm assuming that originally there were only the two for the ring and that something has been added. What is worrying me is that if someone has previously added an extra socket or sockets (Radial) somewhere, then there is the potential to draw 30 Amps down that single cable which I believe is beyond the general limits of a single 2.5 mm T+E cable.

Am I right? or was the heat just caused by the loose connection?

I would think that I should identify which two are the ring main and which is the odd one and give the odd one it's own 15/16 amp breaker.

Any advice is greatfully recieved.

Sponsored Links
You can take a spur to a single or double socket from the ring circuit. This spur can be taken from the back of a socket, a joint box, or the CU.

If it is a simple spur, thats fine. If it is feeding more than one socket, thats not good.

You could take all three out, find continuity between two (the ring), and then reconnect the 'spur' temporarily on it's own - Turn just this breaker on and look for what is live.

Most likely just a loose connection, but worth making sure you only have a single spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back