3 cable Ring Main??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed that the circuit breaker for the mains sockets has 3 cables connected to it. I thought that if there was one it was a radial circuit, and two if it was a ring main. So what does it mean if there are 3?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
it means someone has taken a spur from the ringmain, but they've done it at the point of origin.

Thanks for the V.rapid responses!

What I intend to do then is to disconnect one cable at a time and test all my sockets to see which ones are affected - can I just disconnect the live wire or do I need to disconnect the corresponding neutral as well?

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Live will do - but don't have any large loads on while you do this (as you will only have reduced capacity on the ring during some tests), and make sure you switch off main switch between tests. Be safe!

Call it a thirst for knowledge - I just want to know what is connected where - just nosy I guess!

R.

disconnect all 3 lives.

Work out which two are connected (the ring) and connect them both back up.

leave the 3rd out and see what don't work.

likely to be close to the cu maybe and maybe a recent addition

Ahhh gotcha and i know what you mean about needing to know whats what :LOL:

I thought you were going to disconnect it permanently because you didn't like it being there.

The spur from the consumer unit should only feed one double or single socket, not two sockets.

Hmm... does that mean I HAVE to disconnect it? I have a spare slot on the CU - should I make a new circuit just for those two sockets?

Thanks again,

R.

It depends if it's easier to just extend the ring final to include those sockets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back