Extending a 30amp ring main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat which only has one ring main for all the sockets rather than the usual 2 (upstairs & downstairs). This is connected to a 30 amp breaker. I need to extend the ringmain but am pretty sure that I can't use 2.5mm cable. If I use 30amp mutistrand cable it will not fit into the connectors on the socket face-plates.

Can someone advise what cable should be used and where it may be possible to buy it?

Thanx

Sponsored Links
lurch said:
I have a flat which only has one ring main for all the sockets rather than the usual 2 (upstairs & downstairs). This is connected to a 30 amp breaker. I need to extend the ringmain but am pretty sure that I can't use 2.5mm cable. If I use 30amp mutistrand cable it will not fit into the connectors on the socket face-plates.

Can someone advise what cable should be used and where it may be possible to buy it?

Thanx

use 2.5mm2 cable, it can take the power, in a ring there are two legs.
also if you have concrete ceiling and floor the wiring will be run in conduit, these will probrably have single core 2.5mm (these will be multistranded, if thats what you mean?)

Supersparks

Thanks for the answer. Doesn't that mean that there will be a point of resistance between the exisiting cable and the new 2.5mm?

(The cable in the flat is run in plastic conduit and is non sheathed although it doesn't look as though it is 4mm.)

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
lurch said:
Supersparks

Thanks for the answer. Doesn't that mean that there will be a point of resistance between the exisiting cable and the new 2.5mm?

(The cable in the flat is run in plastic conduit and is non sheathed although it doesn't look as though it is 4mm.)

Thanks for your help

i take it you know the basic idea of a ring circuit?
basicly as the name suggests it starts off at the relivant breaker/fuse runs to each socket in turn then from the last socket returns to the breaker/fuse of its origin and forms a 'ring'
if you want you can spur off of a socket but the new spur can only supply one socket, and you can have 1 spur for every socket on the ring, if you want to supply more than one socket you can either; spur off of the socket into a fused spur then have as many sockets as you want off of this run(the fuse in the spur unit wont let you draw more than 13amps)
or you can run two cables from a socket that is on the ring to your socket(s) from the last socket you run it back to the socket you started at connect your new wire in a 30amp terminal block and then connect your other new wire along with the other original wire to the socket front. and then turn on and test.

BR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back