30 Year old boiler replacement

Could just be that gas plumbers choose to halve their hourly rate when working on water - taps, toilets etc, to remain competitive when there is no gas work about.

Sponsored Links
What you have to remember is that Gas-Safe/CORGI are nothing more than a cartel whose main aim is to keep its members income up.

That just demonstrates that you are not qualified to become gas registered and have no understanding of how the system works!

Gas Safe is the name given to the registration body for the time being. Currently it is Capita who collect TV licencing among many other things.

The only interest that Capita have is to run the registration scheme in the way that maximises THEIR income.

They do not represent the interests of their registrants in any way.

Tony

I know a number of plumber/gas fitters. They double their prices when gas is mentioned because they can get away with it. What's your hourly rate then? Will you tell us? (He won't).
If you don't know their hourly rate how can you tell they've doubled it? If they don't tell the customer their hourly rate how can they get paid?

Please tell us more about the 'number of plumber/gas fitters' you know who double their unknown rate when gas is mentioned. And how you calculate their doubled rate without knowing their non-gas rate.

They are people I know. Mates. Get with it matey-boy.

Sponsored Links
As so often happens on here,a perfectly reasonable post gets hijacked by petty squabbling,which has almost nothing to do with the OPs questions.
As to the OP having pre-conceived ideas about being ripped off and lead down the garden path,it`s hardly surprising,considering the bad press some plumbers and gas engineers have given us on programmes like watch dog.
It`s easy for us to sit here in our ivory (gas)towers sniggering or feeling superior when a punter says something(we consider)stupid.
We,who are in the trade and on this site,should be here for one reason only and that`s too help punters looking for advice.
The mods should take a more active role here and remove these troll posts or move them,they happen far too often.

Mac out.

We,who are in the trade and on this site,should be here for one reason only and that`s too help punters looking for advice.

Mac out.

And that advice should include helping to prevent the punter being ripped off.

The gas industry has worked very hard to earn its reputation. Is it our fault that that reputation isn't the one you'd like it to be? As usual - the retort of 'troll' is the reaction from the 'trade'. :rolleyes:

In your own interest, get a 'supply and fix quote'. Buy it yourself, if anything goes wrong, there's a conflict of interest. Your installer will be able to get a better price anyway.

Thats interesting!

Currently, based on Plumbase and City Plumbing, I am not being quoted better prices that anyone walking in off the street or telephoning them.

Please could you email me and tell me where I need to get them from please?

My attempt to get one direct from Telford a while ago when none were in stock locally resulted in a higher price, despatch the next day and and an undefined delivery up to three days later! I fitted a Vaillant instead!

To the OP and other readers, be aware that most installers will not assist with warrantee issues on boilers which they did not supply themselves.

If a boiler which I supplied and fitted fails during the warrantee then I will go first and identify the problem and fix it myself if I have the parts.

Tony

What about those in the MC that charge within your £45/h quota limit?

I'd love to meet one. I don't charge a blanket £45 anyway. That's if I'm only there an hour. My half day rate is £100 and full £180. What's your pricing policy? (bet it's a secret).

are you a time served tradesman Mr 90? you dont seem very confident in your own abilities, both as a tradesman and as a business man. why such an interest in everyone elses pricing?

What's your pricing policy? (bet it's a secret).

Not from my customers it's not. Suffice to say I might have to review them if I'm going to join the MC.

How would you justify your prices to someone who charges less than you and tells your customers they're being ripped off? Assuming of course you have any.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back