30 Year old boiler replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

We've got an "OLD" Potterton Flamingo 50 in our house. It's given us notice and I am looking to replace it next month.

I had hoped it would last another year and had planned to replace the cylinder and bathroom at the same time, but sadly funds won't allow for this at this time. I'm going to have to replace the boiler and rads now and leave the rest until another time.

Having had a look at the existing system it would appear that the boiler has a 22mm feed, 22mm return and a 15mm feed (I'm assuming the 15mm feed is for the gas). I can't see any other connections on it.

I think the 22mm pipe goes to and from a tri-port valve in our airing cupboard in the bathroom. This then serves the DHW and CH circuit from there.

I'm planning on replacing the boiler with a Viessmann Vitodens 200-W system boiler.

From the installation diagram it would appear that it would control the DHW and CH circuits independently and these connections would need to be made at the boiler.

Question: Would you connect the existing 22mm pipes straight to and from the cylinder and then remove the tri-port valve?

I guess I could then run new 15mm pipework from the boiler to a radiator to connect the CH circuit up independently... Would it matter which radiator it connected to first?
The boiler is in the kitchen and there is a bedroom directly above it - would it be ok to tap into the circuit here?

I'm just trying to get the best solution clear in my head so that when I get quotes I know what to ask for and I'm not lead down the garden path...

If you can think of anything else that would be useful at this point I am all ears.

Cheers,
Blondebier

Sponsored Links
You need to remove the pump, 3 port valve and feed and expansion tank. Powerflush the radiator circuits, going around with one rad open at a time until all is flushed. Powerflush the cylinder primary pipes and coil. Connect the coil to the inner pair of pipes on the Vitodens, and the rads to the outer pair. Connect the mains lead to your fused spur. Fit a cylinder temperature sensor 7179 114 to the cyl and connect to the X5 connections in the boiler. Wire your outside temperature sensor to X3 terminals 1 & 2. Your weather compensation has full 7 day electronic timing for heating and water.

I'm just trying to get the best solution clear in my head so that when I get quotes I know what to ask for and I'm not lead down the garden path...

There is substantially more chance you'll not get anyone to deal with you by hastily making a half ar*ed and ill informed attempt to upstage them, than there is of being 'lead down the garden path' for acting as a customer.

Sponsored Links

There is substantially more chance you'll not get anyone to deal with you by hastily making a half ar*ed and ill informed attempt to upstage them, than there is of being 'lead down the garden path' for acting as a customer.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

I'm sure plumbers really hate it when people ask questions. It's really inconvenient when customers are overly informed so that you can't rip them off.

It's a shame there are people like you on the internet. It spoils forums like this.

I wish you all the best in your business venture and I hope the recession doesn't bite too hard!

I'm sure plumbers really hate it when people ask questions. It's really inconvenient when customers are overly informed so that you can't rip them off.

I do like it when customers take the trouble to find out about heating systems and boilers as it makes it easier for me to explain what I can provide for them.

But I dont like people ( they would never be my customers! ) who have this attitude that all plumbers are thick and only do plumbing because thats a job for the less able.

Even worse the customers who have this idea that we are all going to rip them off. But I can manage those because they quickly realise that I dont rip anyone off.

By all means try to find an installer but please dont automatically assume that you are more intelligent than he is. You are likely to upset some of the best installers with that attitude and thats not in your interest. The only place to look is the Viessmann web site list of approved installers but you should already know that.

I can install boilers but I dont like to be called a plumber!

Tony

Be aware that there quite a large amount of asbestos in your old boiler and you normally have to take the flue hood off and disturb the dusty rope seal to when you remove the fluehood.
Come to think of it most old boiler i take out are full of the damm stuff.. are we really paid commensurate to the risk involved?

going by your first post, the questions on piping up etc, sounds to me that your calling round no rip off merchants, your gonna chance your arm and do it yourself, good luck, i pity the poor soul that you call to try to sort out the future mess :!:

Girls give advise here too ;)

We've got an "OLD" Potterton Flamingo 50 in our house. It's given us notice and I am looking to replace it next month.

Howd it do that then?

I had hoped it would last another year and had planned to replace the cylinder and bathroom at the same time, but sadly funds won't allow for this at this time. I'm going to have to replace the boiler and rads now and leave the rest until another time.

Cant see the relevance of this point - and personally I dont care about your financial situation.

Having had a look at the existing system it would appear that the boiler has a 22mm feed, 22mm return and a 15mm feed (I'm assuming the 15mm feed is for the gas). I can't see any other connections on it.

Its called a 'flow' darling.

I think the 22mm pipe goes to and from a tri-port valve in our airing cupboard in the bathroom. This then serves the DHW and CH circuit from there.

Brilliant terminology! :LOL:

I'm planning on replacing the boiler with a Viessmann Vitodens 200-W system boiler.

Good choice - a decent boiler.

From the installation diagram it would appear that it would control the DHW and CH circuits independently and these connections would need to be made at the boiler.

You've bought the boiler and and plan to install it yourself, yes?

Question: Would you connect the existing 22mm pipes straight to and from the cylinder and then remove the tri-port valve?

You install it as per the manufacturers instructions.

I guess I could then run new 15mm pipework from the boiler to a radiator to connect the CH circuit up independently... Would it matter which radiator it connected to first?
The boiler is in the kitchen and there is a bedroom directly above it - would it be ok to tap into the circuit here?

The whole rad circuit piped from 15mm pipework at the boiler - go for it. :rolleyes:

No you are not, your asking whether what YOU plan to do is acceptable.

If you can think of anything else that would be useful at this point I am all ears.

Yes, Id get a few reputable RGI's in to price up the work you want doing and LISTEN to them seeing as your 'all ears'.

Cheers,
Blondebier

Cheers,

Mr. W.

Be aware that there quite a large amount of asbestos in your old boiler and you normally have to take the flue hood off and disturb the dusty rope seal to when you remove the fluehood.
Come to think of it most old boiler i take out are full of the damm stuff.. are we really paid commensurate to the risk involved?

Thanks for the advice. I'll make sure the installer is aware.

going by your first post, the questions on piping up etc, sounds to me that your calling round no rip off merchants, your gonna chance your arm and do it yourself, good luck, i pity the poor soul that you call to try to sort out the future mess :!:

Far from it. All I am trying to do is ascertain the size of the job before I get some quotes. If there is lots of additional pipework required, I thought it would be helpful to find out where it currently runs so that when I get "guys" or "girls" in to get quotes then I could save them some time by showing them what they are dealing with here.

Girls give advise here too ;)

Sorry for the loose term. I use it as a generic one... Apologies if I caused offence.

Howd it do that then?

It's kettling. I'm not going to throw good money after old.

Cant see the relevance of this point - and personally I dont care about your financial situation.

Thanks for your understanding. I wasn't asking for sympathy but just trying to convey the bigger picture... in that we are going to do a lot of other related plumbing bits in the near future and if this was going to affect that detrimentally then it would be helpful to have those warnings now rather than make an expensive mistake and have to rectify it later.

I appreciate that I haven't used the correct terminology and that's why I am on here asking questions. I'd like to use the correct terminology and hopefully when I get installers in I will be able to.

You've bought the boiler and and plan to install it yourself, yes?

No, I plan to buy the boiler and other bits online and pay an approved Viessmann RGI to install it.

I am trying to work out how much additional pipework would be required so that I can find the best place for it to go. That may involve ripping up some floors and chasing walls etc. Also part of the "bigger picture"... I don't want to start decorating rooms and buying new floor coverings if they're going to be disturbed. I'd rather wait and do them later if that is likely.

The whole rad circuit piped from 15mm pipework at the boiler - go for it. :rolleyes:

I can't work out whether you are being serious here.

No you are not, your asking whether what YOU plan to do is acceptable.

That's a pretty strong statement. And sadly wrong.

Yes, Id get a few reputable RGI's in to price up the work you want doing and LISTEN to them seeing as your 'all ears'.

I plan to. Thanks for the advice.

In your own interest, get a 'supply and fix quote'. Buy it yourself, if anything goes wrong, there's a conflict of interest. Your installer will be able to get a better price anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back