30 Year old boiler replacement

I know everyone thinks make a bomb of charging for materials and you can save a fortune by getting the gear yourself but since the internet came to every phone etc thats really doesn't happen ,2 seconds on google and everyone knows pretty close to what the real pice is(well apart from BG).

You really wont save much but if anythings wrong with the materials parts missing etc be prepared to do the sorting out yourself or paying the installer to do it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.

I haven't bought anything yet, so will get them to quote for the lot as well.

I'm sure plumbers really hate it when people ask questions. It's really inconvenient when customers are overly informed so that you can't rip them off.

Don't try turning this around. In trying to be clever, you've already made of an a*se of yourself, before you've had anyone visit.

Some of the questions you could ask, the ones installers should welcome are eg.
-Type of system
-Positioning of appliances
-CH/HW comfort requirements
-Choice of controls
-Aftersales care
-Budgets & prices

Your only interest seems to be how to get some mug over who'll do as you say, based on your 5 mins of cyber knowledge, in order to keep cost to a minimum. Have you considered the level of tradesmen that'll work under these arrangements - recession or not?

Don't try turning this around. In trying to be clever, you've already made of an a*se of yourself, before you've had anyone visit.
And how have I done that exactly?
I don't understand why you are being so confrontational. If anyone is being an ass it's you!

All I did was ask some questions. Apologies if these offended you.

Your only interest seems to be how to get some mug over who'll do as you say, based on your 5 mins of cyber knowledge, in order to keep cost to a minimum. Have you considered the level of tradesmen that'll work under these arrangements - recession or not?

I'm interested in how things work. What's wrong with that? In my original post did I say I knew everything? That's the point of this thread. I'm trying to gather information.

If I just accepted any recommendation that was made how would I know that it was a good one?

In your world, plumbers and gas installers probably have the best reputation and are all honest stand up people.

In my world I know a fair few family and friends that have been ripped off and sold things that weren't wanted or required. If they understood how it all worked they would have been in a better position to make an informed decision.

So you can take your list of suggestions and poke it! Here's 2 cyber fingers!

Sponsored Links
What you have to remember is that Gas-Safe/CORGI are nothing more than a cartel whose main aim is to keep its members income up.

They all stick together like the Magic Circle. :p

All I did was ask some questions

No. You also made a statement that the information you wished to gather was to prevent you from being 'lead down the garden path'.

Prior to that you made a series of assumptions which demonstrate how far short your knowledge is, making your ambition of being an informed customer optimistic.

Now instead of trading further insults I will point out the following;

Your reason for posting was to arm yourself in minutes with info you believe will save you money. I'd wager any quality installers reading this would only work for you for well over their normal rate, if at all. Transfer your attitude to anyone visiting and all you'll be left with is those that will rip you off. So carry on you'll deserve eachother.

What you have to remember is that Gas-Safe/CORGI are nothing more than a cartel whose main aim is to keep its members income up.

They all stick together like the Magic Circle. :p

As nearly every RGI sees the cost of maintaining registration as an expensive burden, perhaps you could explain how it is these organisations help keep 'its members income up'.

You all stick together and make daft quotes. Just yesterday someone was saying that to buy a PCB was £160 - fitted was about £360 - for 20 mins work.

You all stick together and make daft quotes. Just yesterday someone was saying that to buy a PCB was £160 - fitted was about £360 - for 20 mins work.

So based on the above piece of worthless information, you're suggesting that for example, I'm in personal contact with 50,000 + others regularly price fixing to the consumers detriment.

Perhaps you should pause for thought at what a c**tish statement you've made.

What's your hourly rate then?
It's the rate determined by a combination of what my customers are satifisfied is value for money and I accept as a living. In any event it's not assisted by any trade body.

PS. What's yours and what d'you do for it?

You need to remove the pump, 3 port valve and feed and expansion tank. Powerflush the radiator circuits, going around with one rad open at a time until all is flushed. Powerflush the cylinder primary pipes and coil. Connect the coil to the inner pair of pipes on the Vitodens, and the rads to the outer pair. Connect the mains lead to your fused spur. Fit a cylinder temperature sensor 7179 114 to the cyl and connect to the X5 connections in the boiler. Wire your outside temperature sensor to X3 terminals 1 & 2. Your weather compensation has full 7 day electronic timing for heating and water.

Also fit a fast recovery cylinder, as the internal 3port valve gives hot water priority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back