32A C-Form Sockets

Sponsored Links
Why not?
Could be something to do with 63A being a midges bigger than half of 125A.

Sponsored Links
possibly the right answer. but there must be a reason why we arrived at the fuse ratings we have in common use today

possibly the right answer. but there must be a reason why we arrived at the fuse ratings we have in common use today

Used to be more normal to see 30A rewirable fuses / cartridge fuses in the likes of domestics. Old MCBs came in the likes of 30A flavours too.

BS88 fuses are slightly different, could be simply from their larger sizes being halfed i.e. starting at say 1k and keep halving. There are also mid sizes so it is anyones guess!
Looking in the appendix in BS7671, MCBs come in the more common BS88 lower end of the scale sizes. There are more normal MCB sizes than BS88 in 63A and below flavours.

AIUI MCBs are 32A because that rating is a closer match to a 30A 3036 than a 30A MCB would be.

And 6A is ditto 5A.

I'd always assumed that 63A was ditto 60A....

a 60A RCD will suffice. if the marquee company are providing a 30A RCD distribution system it will prob need its own 32A supply USING 6mm CABLE. For the other sockets - unless u can clip the cable along a wall you will need to use 2.5 SWA on 32A breakers, if you are willing to pay for the cable, put a few sockets on a ring or 2, if not use 16A mcbs and just use radials. if you can use a wall - do! use 2.5 flex.

it's a temporary installation in the marquees, all he needs to do is provide a 32A and a 16A industrial plug for them to hook up to ..

Yep, the most common industrial type sockets have a few different names such as Ceeform, Commando, BS4343, BSEN60309 or have even heard them refered to as their keyway (blue 6h for 240v single phase) but are all the same thing.
As long as they are installed correctly taking into account things like RCD protection and wether or not to export earthing then they will be fine.
I have installed some of the 32A flavoured red and blue ceeforms for a stage recently, all on 30mA RCDs local to the socket - one RCD per socket.

would this come under the requirements of a camping or caravan site since it's for supplying power to a tent???

I'd install to the regs outlined in section 708..

What is the full indended purpose for the Marquee? Might be worth looking at BS7909 "Code of practice for temporary electrical systems for entertainment and related purposes", available at a price!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back