32A Radial Circuit-From Hot Tub to Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum and looking for a bit of advice on electrics. The house we bought had a hot tub in a shed in the back garden, we aren't hot tub people so it got yeeted and on to a new home. The room it was in is going to be a bit of a workshop/crafting space and needs rewired to suit. What remains are the 32A RCD in a consumer unit in the out building (below)

IMG_3155-min.png

and a 32A isolation box and some cabling (below)

IMG_3156-min.png
IMG_3157-min.png

What I want to do is put 2 sockets on each wall shown below.

IMG_3158-min.png
IMG_3159 (1)-min.png

My plan is to make use of this as a radial circuit and replace the 32A wall isolator with a 2 way junction box and have two sockets on one side and the other two on the other using the spare cable I have that was plugged into the hot tub. In my head is the following diagram below

Workshop Wiring Diagram.png

I will need a junction box rated to 32A but will this work on a technical level and be up to the standards that the regs require. I'm not an electrician however have done some electrical based stuff as part of my job but have received training in that however when it comes to electrical installations I have some knowledge that is needing some confirmation.

Cheers for the help

Sponsored Links
I've also just realised a junction box may not be required as I can go straight to a socket and feed off from that potentially

but will this work on a technical level and be up to the standards that the regs require.
Well, lots to consider. But first, your diagram would be OK, but the connecting cables cannot be smaller than 4mm². You may have problems using large conductors in to the sockets.
The way that i would do this is to chuck out everything but the 32A MCB and create a ring final circuit using 2.5mm² cable.
Strictly speaking you are creating a new circuit, and that is notifiable work. Something that is best done by a registered electrician.

I don’t that would be a new circuit, just rewiring an exiting one.
I'd opt for replacing the cable in the CU MCB cannot be described as rewiring existing.
Surely completely new cable has to be a new circuit.

Sponsored Links
New to the forum and looking for a bit of advice on electrics. The house we bought had a hot tub in a shed in the back garden, we aren't hot tub people so it got yeeted and on to a new home. The room it was in is going to be a bit of a workshop/crafting space and needs rewired to suit. What remains are the 32A RCD in a consumer unit in the out building (below)

View attachment 315663

and a 32A isolation box and some cabling (below)

View attachment 315664View attachment 315665

What I want to do is put 2 sockets on each wall shown below.

View attachment 315666 View attachment 315667

My plan is to make use of this as a radial circuit and replace the 32A wall isolator with a 2 way junction box and have two sockets on one side and the other two on the other using the spare cable I have that was plugged into the hot tub. In my head is the following diagram below

View attachment 315668

I will need a junction box rated to 32A but will this work on a technical level and be up to the standards that the regs require. I'm not an electrician however have done some electrical based stuff as part of my job but have received training in that however when it comes to electrical installations I have some knowledge that is needing some confirmation.

Cheers for the help
To confirm that CU is in the outbuilding and supplied from another CU (in the house?) by what protective device and what cable?

What is connected to the other MCB's marked Lights & Sockets?

You can do what you propose, but that RCD is an obsolete Type AC and will need to be replaced with a Type A.

To confirm that CU is in the outbuilding and supplied from another CU (in the house?) by what protective device and what cable?

What is connected to the other MCB's marked Lights & Sockets?
So i thought that assumption was right however I don't think it is. There doesn't appear to be a MCD relating to the out buildings in the CU in the house (we have two out buildings-one is more of an office type space which has two "rooms" the one that i'm needing to add sockets in, the other is a shed) Both out buildings have their own CU's in them supplied with big chunky black cables (don't know the gauge but about 15mm in diameter maybe more. The other two MCB's marked lights and sockets control the lights in the whole out building and the sockets in the "office room" of the out building. I want to change the one marked hot tub to a new socket radial in the other room of the out building.

There doesn't appear to be a MCD relating to the out buildings in the CU in the house
Probably fed from switch fuses, rather than from the house CU then. Post a photo of the meter area and any associated boxes.
But academic really, nice to know where its fed from, but your interest is the outhouse building.

PS its called an MCB.

you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink springs to mind ........

E75A7678-7F60-4B76-8287-114E9D0FD31D.jpeg

So this is the meter cupboard and I can confirm that the big white box does indeed isolate the power outside to the shed(s). Good to know for the future on that one and if I want to be absolutely damn sure that power is dead outside I can properly shut it off.

After some consultation with more electrical inclined people at work (I’m more mechanical biased) my proposed solution is the one already mentioned by Taylortwocities but I’ll retain the 32A MCB in the sheds CU, retain the 6mm2 T+E into the room (to remove this would be a massive pain) but remove the rotary isolator and replace with a wago junction box, which I’m right in thinking would be classed as maintenance free provided I use the right connectors and right box. This then allows me to connect the 6mm2 T+E and create a ring using 2.5mm T+E to connect the sockets up to the wago box.

Regarding building regs my interpretation is that this is an alteration outside of a special location and is therefore non-notifiable works. When it comes to testing and certification I will use a socket tester for my own peace of mind at the time to ensure all is working properly as it should and then book in my local electrician to perform the appropriate testing.

from what research I’ve done so far this all sounds reasonable and appears to comply with the regulations both electrical and building.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back