Change outdoor 32a supply for power controller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a 32a switched controller like the one below which used to run a hot tub.

I want to run some power out round my garden. I have two sheds with no power

And currently no garden socket and no garden lighting

Can I change the box or use it to run a 4-6 way controller? Then run Cables from the controller out to these other areas?

Suggestions very welcome as I may be thinking about this the wrong way around.

Thanks

gewiss-interlocked-switched-socket-32a-2p-e-240v-gw66015_268_1_large.png

Sponsored Links
The problem is "Can I" we have no idea of your ability, we also have no idea as to protection both against water and for shock,
classic-touring-bollards-in-green-foamex-thumb.jpg
you can clearly get units with multi-outlets and so I am sure what you want can be done, however as to if you can do it safely is another question.

So what is it supplied from, what is it supplied with, what are the test figures for the existing unit, and to be frank if you could test it, you would not be asking the question.

32a mcb on the main board in the house, feeds this directly.
I was inviting ideas and thoughts ideally. If someone said, I'd leave that and then run a cable from that to a control box then go from there, or, yes that could be replaced with a controller but you'd need to downgrade the MCB in the house etc....
Just trying to clarify my thinking and trying to figure out what is doable. In terms of cable runs to shed and lighting outside like PIRs and LEDs I am fine. I just want to know what is feasible and if I need to get a spark to do something to make it happen then I will.

I'm talking about 2 lights for the sheds and a couple of external power sockets as well as some external sensor lighting.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure I understand?
A person who is going to sign the relevant certificates (usually an electrician) will have to certify that they have undertaken the design and testing of the work. Even if competent to undertake the design, most DIYers are not equipped to undertake all of the testing which, strictly speaking, is required.

Kind Regards, John

You have enough power, but as said it may be a simple fused connection unit (FCU) in the house would be a better (cheaper) option, it may be you need RCD protection then a RCD FCU or it may be hard to get a second supply from the house. It may be a bit of black flex, or it could be SWA (steel wire armoured) is best, this all comes down to design.

In essence each job can be split into three, design, installation, and inspection and testing, and likely you could do the installation yourself, but other two would need some one more skilled.

However to split into three means the person doing the work even if a scheme member can't self certify, in Wales or unlikely in England although some can certify other peoples work, so likely it would need to go through the council, but they have a fixed charge for first £5000 worth of work, around £250 does not matter is a simple job or full rewire council charges the same. Again Wales garden is a special area but not in England.

So in real terms it could cost more to DIY than get some one in to do the work.

You could be really sneaky and get an electrician to give a quote, and in so doing find out how he would do it, in fact not such a bad idea as you may find it is cheaper than you think, and simply not worth the effort to DIY.

If I was visiting and you asked me, there would be no problem for me to give advice, but it is so open, we could without realising tell you to do something daft.

... However to split into three means the person doing the work even if a scheme member can't self certify, in Wales or unlikely in England although some can certify other peoples work, so likely it would need to go through the council, but they have a fixed charge for first £5000 worth of work, around £250 does not matter is a simple job or full rewire council charges the same. Again Wales garden is a special area but not in England. ... So in real terms it could cost more to DIY than get some one in to do the work.
... indeed - IF is is notifiable work. However, as you imply, unlike the situation in Wales, outdoor electrical work is not, per se, notifiable in Sussex - so do you have some other reason for thinking that this work would be notifiable?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks Gents
It is armoured cable from the board in the house out to that box on the external wall so I was assuming that all remains and what I ask a Sparky to do is either remove that box from the external wall and replace with something that then splits the power out to the three areas (all different directions). That is what was in my head anyway :)
The feasibility is what I was after really.

It is armoured cable from the board in the house out to that box on the external wall so I was assuming that all remains and what I ask a Sparky to do is either remove that box from the external wall and replace with something that then splits the power out to the three areas (all different directions). That is what was in my head anyway :) The feasibility is what I was after really.
Assuming that the cable and supply are adequate for your new needs (which is almost certainly going to be the case) then, yes, that is perfectly feasible.

You state an "either" but without a subsequent "or" :)

Kind Regards, John

You state an "either" but without a subsequent "or" :)

The or was doing to be. Or does the horribly industrial looking box have to stay with the switch and then feed a second box from there. I'd rather only have one big limp of plastic on the wall

The or was doing to be. Or does the horribly industrial looking box have to stay with the switch and then feed a second box from there. I'd rather only have one big limp of plastic on the wall

Fair enough. No, as I implied, there should be no need to have more than on lump of plastic on the wall. Your electrician will probably offer you some options.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back