Wiring new SWA outdoor circuit

Indeed you are not the only one who is wrong.

If you persist though it will not be because of ignorance, it will be because of a wilful decision to be wrong.
I have never been ignorant to grammatical conventions. As I stated, I am one of the world's greatest at both spelling and grammar. I actively promote the capitalisation of the word "Electrician" for those who are time-served Apprentices - over here that means through the JIB Apprentice Training Scheme.

Sponsored Links
Promote it all you like.

Your proclamations will no more valid, and no less ridiculous, than any which you make because you labour under the delusion that if you claim reality is how you wish it were rather than how it actually is it will somehow change.

And in the meantime everybody else can rightly ridicule you.

Promote it all you like.

Your proclamations will no more valid, and no less ridiculous, than any which you make because you labour under the delusion that if you claim reality is how you wish it were rather than how it actually is it will somehow change.

And in the meantime everybody else can rightly ridicule you.
That is laughable coming from one of the most widely ridiculed people on all electrical forums in Western Europe.

Sponsored Links
Back to your original question- while you're doing the work you'll be better off installing a chunky power supply up the garden (wouldn't be a surprise if some of the larger hot tubs pull 8 or 9 kw on full load).
Talk to your electrician/certifier/building control about how deep they want the trench, what sort of backfill to use, marker tape etc etc.
To get ideas on what its going to cost you can use tlc's online calculators to give a guide to cable requirements (your electrician may or may not get a better price on the cable than you can).
Suitable junction boxes- there's all sorts, you're looking for IP66 and big enough to make terminating inside easy (SWA is fairly rigid)
You might even consider a caravan site type of box with distro in it and a 32A blue socket (for your tub) and 16A (or 13A) sockets for smaller stuff- if you're in the tub you'll want some sounds, maybe a bit of light :)
You may find it more cost effective to go straight from house to shed with full fat supply then use a short run of smaller gauge to the potential hot tub area
While you're trenching up the garden and to your shed, chuck a duct or 2 in for LAN, alarm wiring, anything else that might come along. Nothing stopping you putting SWA in a duct but you have to watch bend radii and stuff like that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back