32am quare D RCD does not stay on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
32 amp RCD in one of the power circuits at home does not stay on i.e. not working even if all the sockets are off. I have just replaced it with another working one and still the same. Then I replaced it with a normal 32 amp MCB and this one is working. this gives me the indication that there is no leak between the natural and the live but still can not understand why it is not working. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
32 amp is not a common size for a RCD, for a RCBO yes, for a MCB yes, but it seems you may be using wrong names.
PartID_CU.jpg
Can you start again, so we know what your talking about?

this is the one that is not working

Attachments

• 20220920_113355.jpg
    20220920_113355.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 95
32 amp RCD in one of the power circuits at home does not stay on i.e. not working even if all the sockets are off. I have just replaced it with another working one and still the same. Then I replaced it with a normal 32 amp MCB and this one is working. this gives me the indication that there is no leak between the neutral and the live but still can not understand why it is not working. Any help will be highly appreciated.
You have a leak to earth. Are any of your sockets outside/under a sink or anywhere else liable to get wet?

Sponsored Links
That is an RCBO, it is a MCB and RCD combined. Since an MCB works seems not an over load but earth leakage, and it is not easy to find, I have just treated myself to a tester,
1663671108838.png
on the right so I can test how much leakage there is, think it cost around £35 it was about the cheapest I could find, and also one of these 1663671331253.pngcan be used, the VC60b shown again around £35 and you have then got to learn how to use it, and since it uses 500 volt it can be shocking.

So in the main you look for likely problems, which includes unplugging anything not in use, as a neutral is rarely switched and a neutral to earth fault can trip the RCBO, and if you can't easy find it, then likely cheaper to get an electrician than to buy the equipment to test with, even if your willing to learn how to use it.

I have this tester and know how to use it if someone let me know what to test.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-09-20 at 12.17.25.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-09-20 at 12.17.25.jpeg
    188.3 KB · Views: 47
32 amp RCD in one of the power circuits at home does not stay on i.e. not working even if all the sockets are off. I have just replaced it with another working one and still the same. Then I replaced it with a normal 32 amp MCB and this one is working. this gives me the indication that there is no leak between the natural and the live but still can not understand why it is not working. Any help will be highly appreciated.
Unless you are sure that all your sockets have double pole switches, just turning them off is not enough, you need to unplug all appliances. You also need to turn off any switched spurs on the circuit (which should be DP switched). This is because a single pole switched socket does not disconnect the neutral and a neutral-earth fault in an appliance can trip the RCD.

Unless you are sure that all your sockets have double pole switches, just turning them off is not enough, you need to unplug all appliances. You also need to turn off any switched spurs on the circuit (which should be DP switched). This is because a single pole switched socket does not disconnect the neutral and a neutral-earth fault in an appliance can trip the RCD.
but nothing has been added to the circuit recently it everything has been working ok for ages.

do i need to test every section of the circuits and try to find which piece of wire is faulty and replace it?

Without an insulation tester it is highly unlikely you will find the fault, I remember a mate having a motor blowing fuses, and the multi-meter showed nothing, but the insulation tester showed nearly a direct short, they use 500 volt although also a 250 volt range, it needs this voltage to find faults.

It is unlikely it is wiring, it may be a socket which at some time got wet, or some thing plugged in, with my daughters house the meter showed the fault all power off, and I split the ring final worked out what side, then slowly socket by socket removed and tested, it was one retaining screw which was touching a neutral wire which had been caught when stripping the wire, a bit of sleeving and cured, but took around 4 hours to find.

I actually bought an insulation tester to do daughters house, this 1663678174663.pngone, but meters no good if you don't know how to use it.

but nothing has been added to the circuit recently it everything has been working ok for ages.
Insulation degrades, suppressor capacitors age, heating elements (especially) can get leaky with age. etc.
Surely it won't take that long to unplug everything, turn off all the switched spurs etc and check if the breaker will now reset?

just unplugged everything and the braker reset, plugged everything back again and is it is working. but can not understand why.

Some faults are intermittent, maybe an element got damp and has now dried out.

do i need to test every section of the circuits and try to find which piece of wire is faulty and replace it?
Yes, though start at the DB and see if there's a fault and go to a central point then work back or forward depending on where you find the issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back