32mm O/D waste and wall mounted taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have two questions in 1 here.
I'm fitting my first bathroom ever and decided for some realy strange reason to make my life as difficult as possible.

Firstly I bought a funky chrome bottle trap with a 32mm O/D waste (well done me), there must be an elbow that does 32mm od to id or a 32mm od elbow and an adaptor - can anyone suggest a good source?

Secondly, I have some more funky bits, hudson Reed wall mounted taps. The spout has a 3/4" fitting so I've bought a 22mm-3/4 'T' piece. Obviously this doesn't line up with the taps when I tighten it up. The website says 'use ptfe tape or other suitable sealant' to make it watertight without it being done up tight - this doesn't seem altogether 'safe'. Any advice on the best way forward would be gratefully received.

TIA

Andy

Sponsored Links
Universal compression waste fittings can usually accomodate a wide range of sizes. If you find one with a seperate hard plastic washer between the rubber and the nut it will be easier to tighten it down onto a smaller waste pipe.

Plenty of PTFE tape is the usual way of sealing and correcting the alignment of fittings with a tapered thread.

For the pipe elbow, Maybe 15 or 20 turns around the male thread. Sometimes more. I usually wind it on until I can only just make out the thread form through it - just short of the point where it will no longer enter the socket.

Only tighten the fitting. unscrewing it to get the right alignment may lead to leaks

PTFE does a good job of sealing, but it is also a good lubricant. Too much torque on the fitting may split the socket. That's where the judgement comes in - Do I go for another turn, or will it all go horribly wrong.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back