34 Piece VDE Electrical Kit for £30 - Good deal?

you really need both PH and PZ style

Agreed, too many people think they are the same thing.

On a budget, for only 15 quid, this screwdriver set has Phillips and Pozi and a few slotted...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/AK6124

...and you could have spent the other 15 quid on some cutters/pliers...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/5023969305257

(OK, just over budget at 18 quid, but I was desperate to find a set that doesn't say Silverline or Am-tech or Dekton on them, as they're all utter carp)

Gaz :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You can use a PH as a PZ but not the other way round.
Recently I noticed a lot more custom heads though, I bought a pack from screwfix with torq 6 point star bits which are OK but not really self aligning, the screw doesn't stick to the bit.
And another set I bought are pozisquare which do actually seem really good and have a good balance between secure fit and not slipping too easily.
Is it just improvements in technology or is it just some kind of patent thing?

You will also need at least a couple of Phillips/slot (+/-) combination screwdrivers for CUs etc.

I hate these sets of tools all being the same colour, drive you mad trying find which is which in your tool box. Always buy separate tools with different coloured handles.

Sponsored Links
I bought a pack from screwfix with torq 6 point star bits which are OK but not really self aligning, the screw doesn't stick to the bit.
I've never used Torx woodscrews, but I've never had that sort of problem with machine screws. Once I've got the right size bit.

Are you sure they were Torx head, not Tongue-Tite?

Do you mean this sort of thing?
Think so. Picture is a bit small.

These:
Slotted%20Phillips.jpg

Yea but CK drivers are THE WORST.

I love wera lasertip, but they're a bit chunky to fit in some terminals so I use Wera Slimline for everything but my PZ2, which I have in lasertip. If they did their slimline in lasterip I would be very happy.

A lot of people rave about Irazola/Bacho but not a fan myself, the handles are huge.

You're excused then!

I'm not convinced you'd get more torque because of the size of the handle (not the length of the handle/shaft) just the sheer heft of it.

My wera set came with a PZ/S1 which I have maybe used in about 3 contactors since I got it. May as well have got a set with the neon screwdriver!

Update & Review:

So the toolkit came, overall I am happy with it although may have got a little better If I shopped around online. Not bad for £30 in my opinion.

As you can see below, I have replaced some of the included tools with existing ones I had.

I also modified the torch/flash light as it was an incandescent originally.

For the drawbacks, wish the larger flat head screwdriver shown below was a bit bigger/wider and that the Philips screw drivers were Pozi drive instead. After all I find Philips screwdrivers redundent when you have Pozi drive screwdrivers. (PH Driver = PH Screws / PZ Driver = PH & PZ Screws) :LOL:

For the pliers, while not as rubbery and soft as I was expecting, they do provide a good grip and are comfortable to hold. They also appear to be marked that they are chrome vanadium steel.

Lastly the handle on the case is plastic and feels very cheap, and only time will tell how well the tools and the case stand up to use and abuse.

In all not bad for £30 (y), although at the current £50 (n) It is not a good deal at all in my opinion for budged grade tools.

Regards: Elliott.

You can use a PH as a PZ but not the other way round.

I disagree.. I'd hand you my impact driver, a box of 100mm PZ2 screws and a box of PH2 bits and see how many screws/bits were knackered at the end of fitting out e.g. A load of ceiling joists, but it'd be an expensive experiment compared to using the right tool for the job.

I understand your point; at a push you can use either driver in the other context, but that context for me would be "crawled into a small space with only the wrong type of driver, and has only a small number of screws that aren't overly tight, to be hand wound only", but pz bits don't go far into a ph screw and risk ruining the bit, ph bits are too sloppy in a pz screw and risk ruining the screw (and eventually the bit)

Is it just improvements in technology or is it just some kind of patent thing?

De facto standards I expect. Ph screws are widely used in automated assembly line because they cam out more easily, and you want a machine to be able to let go when it's done screwing because it's not smart. Pz are everywhere and will enjoy a popularity because they are everywhere and do an adequate job for most applications. Stuff like Torx will appear on e.g. Concrete screws because it's better for higher torque that would snap pz bits, but even then, a pz3 can take some serious hammer, it's just big. I've spoken to a few people who've used the square drive you refer to and think it's far superior to pz, you just have a bit of a market acceptance issue when you have to include a bit in every box just so people can drive them, and then ask them to pay twice the price of a box of pz just because market uptake is low

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back