34 Piece VDE Electrical Kit for £30 - Good deal?

. After all I find Philips screwdrivers redundent when you have Pozi drive screwdrivers. (PH Driver = PH Screws / PZ Driver = PH & PZ Screws) :LOL:
Not true; pz bit heads do not fit all the way into ph screws, and this overloads the point of the bit. It might work for a while in low torque applications like electrical screws, but anything else and you'll be looking at a snapped bit or rounded out/chewed screw in no time. Just use the correct tool for the job, as supplementing your set with the missing pz is cheap to do, and your case has the space.

If you note carefully, we've got john saying "a ph bit can do pz screws" and we got you saying "a pz bit can do ph screws" each with "but not the other way round". You can't both be right; you're both more wrong than right.
These statements have an element of truth in the same sense that "you can use your teeth as wire strippers" or "you can use your high heeled shoe as a hammer", but "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Ph for ph and pz for pz on someone else's job please..

Sponsored Links
:LOL:to be honest, I only know you can use the wrong one because our builders were using pz2 for everything. Personally I'm fastidious about using the correct bit, but mine are all in a state due to my impact driver anyway, so I could do with a box.

Has nobody used a King D1ck driver? It claims to do all sizes of PZ and PH screwheads.

I haven't bought one but gave one a pretty good test in the wholesalers with a bit of wood and some various screws. Seemed ok. The demo is a piece of dense foam so when I complained about that they went and got me an old bit of pallet, seemed like a fairer test to me!

Sponsored Links
I've used Ideal T-strippers for over 30 years and never had a problem with them.

42755053.jpg

Also used Weidmuller Strippax when I did panel wiring. I used the firm's - never had a pair of my own as they are jolly expensive. The only advantage they had over my favoured Ideal T-Strippers was speed.

TL01742-40.jpg

Not true; pz bit heads do not fit all the way into ph screws, and this overloads the point of the bit. It might work for a while in low torque applications like electrical screws, but anything else and you'll be looking at a snapped bit or rounded out/chewed screw in no time. Just use the correct tool for the job, as supplementing your set with the missing pz is cheap to do, and your case has the space.

If you note carefully, we've got john saying "a ph bit can do pz screws" and we got you saying "a pz bit can do ph screws" each with "but not the other way round". You can't both be right; you're both more wrong than right.
These statements have an element of truth in the same sense that "you can use your teeth as wire strippers" or "you can use your high heeled shoe as a hammer", but "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". Ph for ph and pz for pz on someone else's job please..
I assume we have all been to a market and seen the guy with a table selling THAT unique miracle tool, be it a 25 in 1 glass cutter/wire cutter/spirit level and something to get stones out of..... or a super doooooper paint brush system.
Well that's the image set and on this occasion way back in the late seventies it was a guy with a selection of electric drills containing screwdriver bits, lets call them cross heads as the thing about them is one bit did size 1 & 2 P, PH & PZ heads and the other did size 3 & 4. The well practiced sales patter was spot on and the random lumps of timber and screws were being wound in and out with ease.
After the patter the drills were offered to the buyers to do some screwing of their own, Yours truly was the first to step forwards and in no time six of us were depositing more and more screws in the timber.
Quite honestly the bits really felt good and fitted all of the screws with ease.
I parted with my £4 and for that I got 2 bits of each size, 2" & 6" bit holders and a lifetime guarantee, my name was entered on a register and the entry number placed on my guarantee.
Those bits were every bit as good as the sales patter, they happily drove M2 or 8"x20 screws and saw me through a complete house refurb and extension. I damaged one where I slipped and ground it against concrete, apart from the phone number changing their after sales service was perfect and a duplicate set arrived a couple of days later.
Sadly I lost the last bit about around 2005 but even more sadly the company had only gone and ceased trading, what a swizz.
They were probably THE best tool I ever purchased and worth every penny of the exorbitant initial price.
So yes they can all be done with the same screwdriver but something different to the standard designs.

I parted with my £4 and for that I got 2 bits of each size, 2" & 6" bit holders and a lifetime guarantee, my name was entered on a register and the entry number placed on my guarantee.
Those bits were every bit as good as the sales patter, they happily drove M2 or 8"x20 screws and saw me through a complete house refurb and extension. I damaged one where I slipped and ground it against concrete, apart from the phone number changing their after sales service was perfect and a duplicate set arrived a couple of days later.
And I'm sure we've all seen people just as practised in sales patter flogging sets of drills that are suitable for drilling into every substance known to man and will never break and never wear out and if they do there's a lifetime guarantee.

Stories of people on this site show that in this case well practised sales patter does not mean the same as "truth", and "lifetime guarantee" does not mean the same as "free replacements"

And I'm sure we've all seen people just as practised in sales patter flogging sets of drills that are suitable for drilling into every substance known to man and will never break and never wear out and if they do there's a lifetime guarantee.
Who's life? the life of the drill bit has ended when it breaks. I was with my father-in-law when he was offered something with a life time guarantee, his comment was not that's not very good, I'm 92 now. Where a guarantee form is filled in by the user with his name on it then clearly it could carry life time guarantee based on his life, but unless some one is named, then it can only refer to the life of the item sold, which means it has to declare what is being guaranteed, so if I have a life time guarantee that I will continue breathing that would mean nothing as if I stop breathing my life has ended, but if it says I can continue to walk then that is very different.

Who's life? the life of the drill bit has ended when it breaks. I was with my father-in-law when he was offered something with a life time guarantee, his comment was not that's not very good, I'm 92 now. Where a guarantee form is filled in by the user with his name on it then clearly it could carry life time guarantee based on his life, but unless some one is named, then it can only refer to the life of the item sold, which means it has to declare what is being guaranteed, so if I have a life time guarantee that I will continue breathing that would mean nothing as if I stop breathing my life has ended, but if it says I can continue to walk then that is very different.

Stories of people on this site show that in this case well practised sales patter does not mean the same as "truth", and "lifetime guarantee" does not mean the same as "free replacements"
the product was excellent and the replacement I did receive was a service I really hadn't expected to be honoured at least 10 years later. In this case the lifetime seemed to be the lifetime of the company which I could find no trace of when I hoped to be able to buy some more. I still use one of the 6" holders some 40 years on which is in remarkably good order.

IIRC the drills did not perform as promised, and replacements under guarantee were available, and of course were "free" as promised, but substantial postage charges were levied.

IIRC the drills did not perform as promised, and replacements under guarantee were available, and of course were "free" as promised, but substantial postage charges were levied.
It's just occurred to me which drills are being referred to. I hadn't been with my GF very long when her father saw the advert in the Sunday paper.
IIRC they were quite expensive and he asked if I'd like a set for Christmas, I declined, thinking they could not possibly match the claims.

I've got a set of those 'magic' drills, which will last me a lifetime, because they'll never wear out. They don't get used because they're carp at drilling anything! Thought to return them but as BAS said, the postage was more than the cost of a set of proper drills.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back