34 Piece VDE Electrical Kit for £30 - Good deal?

T3963.jpg

I use these, they do everything from 0.5mm² up to 35mm² (with two hands!)

They're cheap and last ages until you go cutting screws with them. That's all I use sidecutters for now, cutting non copper things
Also my tool of choice, use auto strippers if I am wiring a panel

Sponsored Links
So....that just leaves the screwdrivers and a few cable ties. I'd not buy it.

And even then, you really need both PH and PZ style + shaped drivers, as well as a good selection of flatties. Do the watchmaker's screwdrivers count?

These work well, once adjusted, but having to adjust for different sizes is a PITA.

screenshot_1276.jpg

I've thought before that if I were doing a lot of wiring I might get several pairs, set them for different sizes, locked tight, and label them in some way.

BAS, these would be better in 99% of cases:
495001.jpg

and in the other 1%, adjusting your version would be a tolerable inconvenience.

I have a pair of these, but truth be told I prefer the pair i got from Aldi; identical in all but name but having rubberised handles, theyre nicer to use than the twice-the-price CK ones.. They look much more like the stanley, though the crimper profile on the stanley differs:
51YpnpMFr0L._SL1000_.jpg

Sponsored Links
I use some with two jaws one to grip and one to pull/cut the sheath or insulation, seem to be better but they do tend to pull the insulation and stretch it a bit.
This sort?

495001-stripping.jpg

They also slightly damage the insulation where they grip it:

screenshot_1277.jpg

screenshot_1277.jpg

Couple of ways round that (angle grinder them off/tape up then use a bit of finger pressure to stop it slipping, if it bothers you), but I figure that it doesn't matter overly much because it doesn't break through it, and any marked insulation is going to be inside an enclosure in a context where it matters less whether it's there or not..

Yes those are the ones, complete with measurements in fractions of an inch..!
The good thing is they take the sheath off really neatly as well, no more unzipping with the cpc or risking everything with a craft knife.
Ericmark I'll look into yours, I guess you just do it by feel? I guess it can't do sheath without damaging the insulation inside?

The strippers I use have a row of slots going up in size, mainly use them on tri rated cable which has harder insulation

Ericmark I'll look into yours, I guess you just do it by feel? I guess it can't do sheath without damaging the insulation inside?

I assume that was actually aimed at me, as I responded to your post, not Eric!

Yes it's all by feel, but its quite easy as they cut 360° of the insulation off, rather than just grabbing and ripping you very quickly get a feel for how much force you need. Although once you replace a pair you go through 1mm² T+E without realising!

You can remove flat sheath with them, I don't tend to unless I have slack to work with because you can quite easily nick the insulation. They're great for ringing round cables, but I have moved to the Knipex ErgoStrip for all round cable related tasks. One of those tools you think is too much money for what it does, but once you've got one, you couldn't live without it (that also has graduated holes in the side for stripping cores, but I don't tend to use it as it's too fiddly to see how much core you've got inside.

Last edited:

This type doesn't mark the insulation at all. I think they are intended for fine stranded wire mostly, but they work great on solid wire too...

wire_stripper_animated4.gif

Trouble is, they range from a fiver-ish, up to well over £100 crazy money.

The manufacturers in China for the cheap ones don't seem to have a grasp on AWG, nor mm², nor just a simple wire diameter measurement! There are a few different jaws for them and their numbers don't seem to match anything on mine!! I still think they're great though!

Gaz :)

This type doesn't mark the insulation at all. I think they are intended for fine stranded wire mostly, but they work great on solid wire too...

wire_stripper_animated4.gif

Trouble is, they range from a fiver-ish, up to well over £100 crazy money.

The manufacturers in China for the cheap ones don't seem to have a grasp on AWG, nor mm², nor just a simple wire diameter measurement! There are a few different jaws for them and their numbers don't seem to match anything on mine!! I still think they're great though!

Gaz :)
They are same as mine, I errmm found them in a factory that was closing

These work well, once adjusted, but having to adjust for different sizes is a PITA.

screenshot_1276.jpg

I've thought before that if I were doing a lot of wiring I might get several pairs, set them for different sizes, locked tight, and label them in some way.

When you finally get to do the pyro you brought they are the best tool for shortening the Neoprene sleeving, once its fitted and pushed on to the pot seal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back