3D Printing.

Joe, its been around a good while now. Less posts and more 'real world' will have had you understanding this years ago. But, you 'created or invented your own job' as a property developer and spend all day on here.

Sponsored Links
I work when it suits me. Getting this one ready for sale now.

Joe, what all the other usual muppet posters are conveniently forgetting is that there was a thread on this subject on here a couple of weeks or so back, during your absence, before which they were all in ignorant bliss, a bit like yourself now. :p

3D Printing has, as others have said, been around for years. There are various technologies that are classed under this heading, only one of which is the extruded plastic filament described earlier.

While the most common, extruded filament is not necessarily the best printing method as it's multiple layers can be de-laminate if stressed (such as drill, tapping, press fit... etc) It uses a plastic filament similar to fishing line, heats it and presses it out through a nozzle that is moved on an XY gantry. This production method is only really suitable for artistic and prototyping purposes.

Steriolithography is the method where a UV hardening resin is hardened layer by layer by a projector (similar to a TV projector, but with a UV bulb) as the new item is pulled out of the tank of resin. This offers a much finer and stronger structure, due to which, parts can often be used to replace worn parts on old equipment.

Laser sintered metal is by far the coolest (and also hottest). It involves having a tray with metal powder in it. A laser is then used to fuse some of these partials together. A new layer of powder is sprinkled over the top, and the process is repeated. These items have massive applications in the medical industry for replacing damaged bones (such as jaw bones) due to the strength. They also permit engineers to design previously impossible to machine items.

In general, the technology stands to be as big as the internet. A Maternet so to speak, where you can 'download' real items from clothing to spare parts for your car.

It does, however, open up a huge ethical issue. Who owns the designs for parts? Can you legislate against some designed? Can you criminalise peoples intellectual property? A group recently designed a hand gun that could be printed on a commercial printer. The US government demanded the design be taken down (clearly showing they don't know how the internet works... now it's in the web, it can't be removed).

Sufficed to say, huge amounts of money to be made in the industry. It's worth looking at a few of the companies, and if the money is available, invest in some shares.

Fubar.

Sponsored Links
Cheers,

As a design engineer, experienced in subtractive manufacturing techniques. The subject is one I've paid close attention to.

Joe, what all the other usual muppet posters are conveniently forgetting is that there was a thread on this subject on here a couple of weeks or so back, during your absence, before which they were all in ignorant bliss, a bit like yourself now. :p

I saw an item on the news long before the post a few weeks back. I remember that one problem they had was the amount of time it took to print an object. Hopefully they will improve on that in time.

One thing I don't understand is how you can print something with multiple parts. A car part such as a gear knob would be fine but what about something more complicated like an alternator - Multiple parts, different materials and needs assembling?

I saw an item on the news long before the post a few weeks back. I remember that one problem they had was the amount of time it took to print an object. Hopefully they will improve on that in time.

One thing I don't understand is how you can print something with multiple parts. A car part such as a gear knob would be fine but what about something more complicated like an alternator - Multiple parts, different materials and needs assembling?

I presume you would 'print' each component separately and then assemble them.

Yeah that's my point. Anyone not suitably equipped to do so would probably have to print a few spanners and screwdrivers first and then attempt to assemble it. Plus a soldering iron, solder, tweezers - Might be quicker to pop down to Halfords. :LOL:

Actually, multi-part assemblies are possible and frequently done. Examples such as working spanners, gear assemblies, ball bearings and I believe even a crude single cylinder engine (just a model, not operational outside of rotary to sliding motion).

I'm a little vague on the exact method, but I believe the usual method when extruding is to only print the moving parts with a tiny connection between them that can be broken the moment the mechanism is activated.

For sintered parts, this isn't an issue as the powdered metal will keep all items separate until the loose material is blown out.

Currently the resolution and tolerances aren't really enough to make many practical things, generally, they are considered show pieces. But as machine technology progresses, this will change.

Likewise, speeds will increase, using better control methods, multiple print heads, active cooling... etc, you still start to reach the speeds of modern CNC subtractive manufacturing.

Another exciting point is that a single printer can print multiple materials. I once saw a model car with rubber wheels, red body and clear windows printed in one go. Very impressive.

Sponsored Links
Back