3D printers..

apparently in 1981 1Gb of storage cost £300,000 yet today, it's about 10p !! The human race is developing as if it were in a race !!

I remember our first computer, an Amstrad, had 1Gb of storage. How the hell did we manage?

Wow JBR tht must have been some machine. My first PC was a 286, it came with 0.5mb of memory and was upgradeable to a maximum 4mb. Memory cost in the region of £50 per mb. Computers use to get stolen, and dumped, the thieves only wanted the memory from them. It was the most expensive item in them, easily removed, easily concealed due to its size, and there was high demand for it.

Memory chips were the gold dust of the day.

YES - I MEAN MBs NOT GBs!!

Wow! You lucky, lucky ba$tard! When I was a kid we were too poor to afford a computer (mind you, they hadn't been invented yet). We had to make do with an abacus, and even then we had to make it ourselves out of wire coat hangers and the beads from my sister's plastic necklace.

:cry:

Sponsored Links
apparently in 1981 1Gb of storage cost £300,000 yet today, it's about 10p !! The human race is developing as if it were in a race !!

I remember our first computer, an Amstrad, had 1Gb of storage. How the hell did we manage?

Wow JBR tht must have been some machine. My first PC was a 286, it came with 0.5mb of memory and was upgradeable to a maximum 4mb. Memory cost in the region of £50 per mb. Computers use to get stolen, and dumped, the thieves only wanted the memory from them. It was the most expensive item in them, easily removed, easily concealed due to its size, and there was high demand for it.

I think your confusing memory with hard drive

No, not at all. I think it had a massive 40mb Hard Dive. What makes you think that?

Sponsored Links
I saw one of these 3D printers on tv a few years back and it was very impressive apart from the time it takes to print - it used to be something like ten hours but not sure if they have improved on that.

Just think, all those people that photocopy their genitals can now do it in 3D :eek:

Knocking out plastic backing fairings for car side mirrors perhaps mobile phone shells would be handy... Plenty of scope.

This may bring some light into the darkness http://www.3dprintingnews.co.uk/

-0-

No, not at all. I think it had a massive 40mb Hard Dive. What makes you think that?

You are deffo confused in 1981 a computer (PC) would not understand memory addresses beyond 640k

You'll be able to buy the plastic printer for your home, for a couple of hundred quid fairly soon. And they have industrial versions that can print in metal already !! it's amazing futuristic science happening right now !!

And he won't be able to use it, it won't print anything without a lot of mucking around, and it won't build anything of great utility. Units capable of metal are technologically unrelated to the wave of ABS and PLA toys which have become popular in recent years, and vastly more complicated and expensive to build and operate.

There's actually a reason 3D printing isn't used for production. It just happens to be neat and useful for prototypes.

Actually, you mean MiB.

You are deffo confused in 1981 a computer (PC) would not understand memory addresses beyond 640k

That's okay, because a 286 is a 1982 chip with a 24-bit address space. If you need that clarifying, that means it can address 16MiB of RAM.

What I stated is correct.

That's okay, because a 286 is a 1982 chip with a 24-bit address space. If you need that clarifying, that means it can address 16MiB of RAM.

Not much use if the PC operating system/rest of the architecture cannot use it though.

You'll be able to buy the plastic printer for your home, for a couple of hundred quid fairly soon. And they have industrial versions that can print in metal already !! it's amazing futuristic science happening right now !!

And he won't be able to use it, it won't print anything without a lot of mucking around, and it won't build anything of great utility. Units capable of metal are technologically unrelated to the wave of ABS and PLA toys which have become popular in recent years, and vastly more complicated and expensive to build and operate.

There's actually a reason 3D printing isn't used for production. It just happens to be neat and useful for prototypes.

Actually, you mean MiB.

indeed but in 1982 windows 1.0 was the OS of its time or even DOS which had no concept of memory above 640k EMS and EMM weren't supported until windows 2.0 (1987)

What you are missing is that I don't ever recall mentioning 1981 or 1982!!

Why has that assumption been made? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back