3D printers..

What you are missing is that I don't ever recall mentioning 1981 or 1982!!

Why has that assumption been made? :confused:

No you're right I've muddled up all the posts, put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5, apologies.

Sponsored Links
What you are missing is that I don't ever recall mentioning 1981 or 1982!!

Why has that assumption been made? :confused:

No you're right I've muddled up all the posts, put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5, apologies.

Not a problem Eddie, I kept reading the posts and couldn't work out where I may have mislead you!

sorry, i often skim threads and obviously in the case didn't give it the necessary attention. My mistake.

apparently in 1981 1Gb of storage cost £300,000 yet today, it's about 10p !! The human race is developing as if it were in a race !!

I remember our first computer, an Amstrad, had 1Gb of storage. How the hell did we manage?

Wow JBR tht must have been some machine. My first PC was a 286, it came with 0.5mb of memory and was upgradeable to a maximum 4mb. Memory cost in the region of £50 per mb. Computers use to get stolen, and dumped, the thieves only wanted the memory from them. It was the most expensive item in them, easily removed, easily concealed due to its size, and there was high demand for it.

Memory chips were the gold dust of the day.

YES - I MEAN MBs NOT GBs!!

I think your confusing memory with hard drive

No, not at all. I think it had a massive 40mb Hard Dive. What makes you think that?

You are deffo confused in 1981 a computer (PC) would not understand memory addresses beyond 640k

What I stated is correct.

Ah, I remembered on the plane this was what I was blithering on about. It states the the intel 286 was released in 1982, but if that were in a PC there would be no way of addressing the 2^24 (16 Mb) of memory with a MS-DOS or Windows OS EMS EMM support wasn't released until Windows 2.0 (1987) Again through lots of quoting I still accept I got it ar*e about face.

Sponsored Links
I started out on an Apple II in 1977. Then I built a Sinclair ZX81 in 1981.

Then I moved onto the Amstrads with the OS on a disk, Locoscript. the 8256 and 9512. The one feature I miss on those was that you could do multi copy and paste.

My first proper PC bought in 1998 had Win 98 & a 3 GB HDD!! Can't remember the rest of the spec, but I do remember dial-up was awful!

There was nothing wrong with the old 7200 dial up connections!! There was not much traffic about in those days, nor was there much demand for power. Although the early modems were initially expensive, their price started to fall as manufacturers started to use the pcs power rather than build it into the modem. I remember when the 28800 speed modem was the true dogs do-dars!!!

Jeepers, I only became computer literate when i joined this forum, i.e. 2006.

Never typed on a keyboard before, never sent an e-mail, never copied and pasted, printed a document.... etc etc.

Now look at me....!

Mind you discovering the delights of internet surfing (wink wink) and crashing for the first time was exciting. :p

My first PC was an IBM XT with 256MB RAM (non-expandable) and twin floppy drives. One of the 360kB drives I replaced with a 720kB 3.5" drive. This machine would run Wordstar 4 and As-Easy-As (a Lotus 123 clone) The first machine I had with a hard drive was a 286 I built myself (1MB RAM) with 20MB IDE hard drive. Don't forget that in those days of DOS 3.3 32MB was the largest hard disk partition which could be supported

My first machine was a Commodore 64 dont know about Lotus 123 but I ran Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge on it, wanted that car ever since.

Then moved onto an Amiga a few years later and Championship Manager. Now Im playing the same game in its Football Manager guise 20 years on.

My first proper computer, an Amstrad (1GB HDD!) came with Lotus SmartSuite installed. This seems to have disappeared from the planet several years ago, yet I still have some files saved under WordPro which I am unable to access.

Until now, that is. I discovered a free office suite called Libre Office which can play anything (including Lotus). I was so impressed with it that I donated £10, and that's saying something for a Yorkshireman.

Have a look here:

http://www.libreoffice.org/

Sponsored Links
Back